[comp.lang.c++] Availability of ET++

bg@draken.nada.kth.se (Bj|rn Gr|nvall) (06/06/89)

  ET++ 1.0 is now available for anonymus ftp at sirius.nada.kth.se
(130.237.222.29) in the file pub/et++-1.0.tar.Z. Size 6.5Mb.

  ET++ is homogenus object-oriented class library integrating user interface
building blocks, basic data structures, and support for object input/output
with high level application framework components. ET++ is implemented in C++
and runs under UNIX and either SunView, NeWS, or the X11 window system.

Here follows an old letter from the authors.

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 17:18:45+0100
From: gamma%unizh%cernvax@enea.se (user)
To: etplusplus@CERNVAX.bitnet
Subject: ET++ Availability

	[...]
In the meantime we produced two more papers about ET++:

- Andre Weinand, Erich Gamma, Rudolf Marty,
  Design and Implementation of ET++, a Seamless Object-Oriented Application
  Framework,
  Structured Programming, Vol. 10, No. 2, 1989 Springer Verlag.

This issue will appear in June but a copy of this paper will be included in the
distribution.

- Erich Gamma, Andre Weinand, Rudolf Marty,
  Integration of a Programming Environment into ET++ - A Case Study

To be presented at ECOOP89 in Nottingham

Prior to the distribution we would like to give some more information about the
hardware and software dependencies of ET++.

- Compiler
  ET++ was developed with AT&T's <<cfront 1.2.1 2/16/87>on SUN workstations.
  Three bug fixes have to be applied to this version in order to compile ET++.
  These bug fixes require that you have the source code of cfront 1.2.1 at your
  disposal! The only other implementation of C++ we have tried was a beta
  release of Oregon C++ without success. In addition to the bug fixes we have
  made a small modification to cfront 1.2.1 in order to reduce the space
  required for vtbl's.

- Hardware
  ET++ runs currently on SUN-2 und SUN-3 architectures. Running ET++ on a SUN-4
  has never been tried out. There will be a problem on the SPARC architecture
  with a few lines of code that access the stack directly, without using
  <stdarg.h>. ET++ runs on color screens but the current version provides no
  support for using colors.

- OS
  ET++ runs under the SunOS releases 3.4, 3.5, 4.0 and 4.0.1. Under 4.0 the are
  some problems due to a bug that is fixed in 4.0.1. The symptom of this bug is
  that an ET++ application can only be executed once. Attempts to start an
  application a second time fail with a strange "core dump".

- Window Systems
  SunView, X11.3(BETA), and NeWS 1.1 (this version is only experimental) The
  collection classes of ET++ are independent of any window system and can be
  used separately.

Preliminary Contents of the Distribution
- description of the bug fixes in cfront 1.2.1
- source code of ET++ class library
- interface for SunView, X11.3(beta) and NeWS 1.1 (experimental!)
- interface for POSTSCRIPT and PIC output generation
- interface to SUNOS
- example applications developed with ET++
- fonts for SunView and X11
- public domain utilities: font converters and a makefile dependency generator
- A copy of the ET++ papers listed above
- Binaries of some ET++ applications
  for those not having a C++ compiler available to get an idea
  of the functionality of ET++ applications (the binaries are for a SUN 3
  running SUNOS 4.0.1).

ET++ is now available for a nominal charge of 100 $. In order to obtain a copy
on a cartridge of ET++ send a check drawn on a Swiss bank, international money
orders, or eurochecks. Checks should be made payable to

Institut fuer Informatik
University of Zurich,
Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Zuerich,
Switzerland

We are still looking for other distribution channels of ET++ because we do not
have the infrastructure to support a large scale distribution. Any suggestions
are welcome.
*** Please copy yourself (see copyright notice above) ***.
Another point where we would like to get some feedback is whether it is legal
or helpful for those having a source code licence for AT&T's cfront 1.2.1 to
provide a version of the distribution including our C++ compiler. This would
eliminate the porting effort of cfront 1.2.1 to SUNs and eliminate conflicts
due to different versions of C++ compilers.

Erich Gamma, Andre Weinand,
Department of Computer Science, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Zuerich, Switzerland
UUCP(USA): ..seismo!mcvax!cernvax!unizh!gamma   EAN: gamma@ifi.unizh.ch
Tel.: +41-1-257-4333 Telex: 817 251 UNII CH  Fax: +41-1-257-4004
--

	/Bj|rn.

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (06/07/89)

In article <BG.89Jun6093117@draken.nada.kth.se>:
|  ET++ 1.0 is now available for anonymus ftp at sirius.nada.kth.se
|(130.237.222.29) in the file pub/et++-1.0.tar.Z. Size 6.5Mb.

It can now also be ftp'ed from cayuga.cs.rochester.edu [192.5.53.209]
in pub/et++-1.0.tar.Z[1234]. I split it into 4 files to improve the
chances of successful file transfers.

-rw-r--r--  1 ken       2048000 Jun  7 00:54 et++-1.0.tar.Z.1
-rw-r--r--  1 ken       2048000 Jun  7 00:55 et++-1.0.tar.Z.2
-rw-r--r--  1 ken       2048000 Jun  7 00:55 et++-1.0.tar.Z.3
-rw-r--r--  1 ken        430427 Jun  7 00:55 et++-1.0.tar.Z.4

54132  2000 et++-1.0.tar.Z.1
56237  2000 et++-1.0.tar.Z.2
06463  2000 et++-1.0.tar.Z.3
38365   421 et++-1.0.tar.Z.4