[comp.lang.c++] C++ on Mac

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (06/21/88)

     Is there a C++ for the Mac?  And has someone given thought to integrating
C++ with the Mac environment so that all those resources one requests from
the Mac's operating system are managed through objects?

					John Nagle

rms@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (06/21/88)

Rather than looking for ways to produce more software for the
Macintosh system, it would be more useful in the long term (a couple
of years) to boycott Apple and encourage others to do likewise.

Apple is attacking our freedom to write free software (as well as
other things).  If they succeed, we will lose many useful pieces of
software that will be illegal to write.  It is worth while to forego a
few temporary benefits to prevent this.

It's true that the boycott might not be widespread enough to work.
But it certainly can't work if we don't try.  Someone has got to start
it, so I volunteer.  I hope some of the rest of you will join and spread
the word.

bs@alice.UUCP (06/21/88)

	Apple have a C++ for the Mac under their Programmers Work Shop
	(or something like that). This means that MacApp is available.
	Ken Friedenback from Apple was mentioned as the instructor for
	a course at Santa Cruze on ``C++ on the Mac'' in a message on
	comp.lang.c or comp.lang.c++ so he must know about it.

	- Bjarne

wpohl@hvrunix.UUCP (Walter E. Pohl) (06/22/88)

In article <8806202049.AA00862@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu>, rms@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:
> [... that he thinks that we] should boycott Apple and encourage others
> to do likewise.
>
> Apple is attacking our freedom to write free software (as well as
> other things).  If they succeed, we will lose many useful pieces of
> software that will be illegal to write.  It is worth while to forego a
> few temporary benefits to prevent this.

     Forgive my ignorance, but what are you referring to?  This isn't a
flame or anything, but I'm not sure what you mean.

BattenIG@CS.BHAM.AC.UK (Ian G Batten) (06/24/88)

>  From:         Dan Allen <voder!apple!dan@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
>  Subject:      Re: C++ on Mac

>  Apple is currently developing a version of CFront that runs under the
>  Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW).  It is somewhere between alpha

Presumably this will in no way use the "look and feel" of any existing
C++ translator or compiler.

ian

INTERNET: BattenIG%cs.bham.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu  JANET: BattenIG@uk.ac.bham.cs
BITNET: BattenIG%cs.bham.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet    UUCP: ...!mcvax!bhamcs!BattenIG

csrdi@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Janet: rick@uk.ac.ed) (06/27/88)

In article <17504@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     Is there a C++ for the Mac?

I enclose a copy of a message which went out to the info-gcc mailing list a
couple of months back. For all that I like the Mac, Stallman hits the nail
well and truly on the head.