[comp.lang.c++] What is the current status of C++ ?

croes@fwi.uva.nl (Felix A. Croes) (12/11/89)

Is there a document, book ar whatever describing the current C++ version in use?
I am looking for the ansi-like version (promised by Bjarne Stroustrup in June,
I believe) or failing that, the C++ 2.0 version.

Ideal would be something like the C++ equivalent of "C: a reference manual" by
Harbison & Steele.

If no such document exists, could someone give me a complete description of the
changes in C++ since the publication of "The C++ programming language" (1985) ?

Thanks in advance, Felix.
--

Felix Croes    (croes@fwi.uva.nl)

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (12/14/89)

In article <284@fwi.uva.nl>, croes@fwi.uva.nl (Felix A. Croes) writes:
> Is there a document, book ar whatever describing the current C++
> version in use? I am looking for the ansi-like version (promised by
> Bjarne Stroustrup in June, I believe) or failing that, the C++ 2.0
> version.

You're talking about two things here:  the 2.0 reference manual, and
Dr. Stroustrup's forthcoming book.  My draft copy of the former came
out in May; it's an up-to-date edition of the appendix to Dr.
Stroustrup's first book.

> Ideal would be something like the C++ equivalent of "C: a reference
> manual" by Harbison & Steele.

That sounds like the book Dr. Stroustrup's working on now.   I don't
kow when the book's due out (spring '90?)

The following can be ordered from the AT&T Customer Information Center,
2855 N. Franklin Rd., Indianapolis, IN, 46219:

o  "UNIX(R) System V AT&T C++ Language System Release 2.0 Release
Notes" (select code 307-090).  The 2.0 release notes.  Boring.

o  "UNIX(R) System V AT&T C++ Language System Release 2.0 Selected
Readings" (select code 307-144), a collection of the following papers:

        +  "The Evolution of C++; 1985 to 1989" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

        +  "An Introduction to C++" by Keith Gorlen.

        +  "An Overview of C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

        +  "What is Object-Oriented Programming" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

        +  "Multiple Inheritance for C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

        +  "Type-Safe Linkage for C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

        +  "Access Rules for C++" by Phil Brown.

o  "UNIX(R) System V AT&T C++ Language System Release 2.0 Product
Reference Manual" (select code 307-146).  The C++ 2.0 reference manual.

o  "UNIX(R) System V AT&T C++ Language System Release 2.0 Library
Manual" (select code 307-145).  A description of the complex, task, and
stream libraries.

> Felix Croes    (croes@fwi.uva.nl)

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.