[comp.lang.c++] Glockenspiel C++ and Commonview?

dar@telesoft.com (David Reisner) (01/06/90)

Does anyone have experience using Glockenspiel C++ and Commonview for
real-world projects?  How well does it handle large systems?  How good is
Commonview's portability across platforms (X, Windows, Mac)?

Thanks.

-David
{uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!dar, dar@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

horstman@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu (Cay Horstmann) (01/08/90)

In article <653@telesoft.com> dar@telesoft.com (David Reisner) writes:

>Does anyone have experience using Glockenspiel C++ and Commonview for
>real-world projects?  How well does it handle large systems?  How good is
>Commonview's portability across platforms (X, Windows, Mac)?

There is a review of CommonView in the newest Byte magazine (1/90.)
I haven't used CommonView but have used the GlockenSpiel C++ preprocessor
fairly extensively in the last 3 months. It runs out of memory if you
are not careful with the header files. Otherwise it appears to be a solid
1.2 implementation. I like the fact that you can make the name-mangling
more civil and use CodeView pretty well with it. (As you can tell, I am
running it on MS-DOS.) My .cxx files are about 700-1000 lines each.

Cay

kearns@read.columbia.edu (Steve Kearns) (01/08/90)

I have been using the extended memory (16M) version of Glock C++;
it is very nice.  I have never run out of memory, and I can even
use inline functions, big header files, large code files!  What a luxury! :-}

-steve

dan@dyndata.UUCP (Dan Everhart) (01/11/90)

Does anyone know what Glock's plans are for supporting version 2.0?

--
Dan Everhart // Dynamic Data & Electronics // 7107 179th St SW
		Edmonds, WA 98020

jeffa@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Jeff Aguilera) (01/11/90)

> Does anyone have experience using Glockenspiel C++ and Commonview for
> real-world projects?  How well does it handle large systems?  How good is
> Commonview's portability across platforms (X, Windows, Mac)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -David

CAM (Computer Aided Management in Petaluma, CA) is (re?)developing their
ViewPoint app with Glockenspiel C++/Commonview.  They aren't on the net,
but they do have phones: 707-795-4100.
-----
jeffa

ekelly@vax1.tcd.ie (EAMON EXT.1795, ROOM 12, 204 PEARSE ST.) (01/11/90)

In article <6696@columbia.edu>, kearns@read.columbia.edu (Steve Kearns) writes:
> I have been using the extended memory (16M) version of Glock C++;
> it is very nice.  I have never run out of memory, and I can even
> use inline functions, big header files, large code files!  What a luxury! :-}
>
> -steve
I am also using the extended memory version but I am constantly running out of
memory while compiling and having to split up my code files.
This usually happens at around the 500 line mark with both windows.h and
commonvu.hxx included and a lot of the "#define NOxxxxx" lines deleted.

One of the most annoying features of the C++ preprocessor, I find, is the way it
arranges the names of constructors to make them unique but ignores the 32
character name limit of MicroSoft C. Frequently the 'unique' names produced
byt C++ are not unique to C when truncated to this 32 character limit.

Hopefully version 1.1 of the compiler will fix this (due out next month, they
say.)

Eamon Kelly
Dept of Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin
Ireland

and

Cylon Controls Ltd.
Unit 8,
I.D.A. Enterprise Centre,
East Wall Road,
Dublin 3

jeffa@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Jeff Aguilera) (01/12/90)

> Does anyone know what Glock's plans are for supporting version 2.0?

In their 1.2 release notes, they promised to support 2.0 before the
end of 1989 :-)
----------
jeffa

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (01/13/90)

In article <257@dyndata.UUCP> dan@dyndata.UUCP (Dan Everhart) writes:
>Does anyone know what Glock's plans are for supporting version 2.0?

One of my contacts tells me that Glockenspiel 2.0 isn;t due out until April.
That probably means May or June or something like that -- every software
house is always late!

Our Systems Admin columnist is invloved in a company selling 2.0 c++ right
now.  I've not used it myself, but I understand it's good stuff and the
DOS version is supposed to be topnotch.

"comeau@utoday" gets through to one of the principles via an account he
uses here...

(The above is not an offical opinion)

--
Ross M. Greenberg, Technology Editor, UNIX Today!   greenber@utoday.UUCP
             594 Third Avenue, New York, New York, 10016