[net.sf-lovers] Food for thought...........TESB, the 'other, etc.

CSvax:Pucc-H:Physics:els (12/14/82)

    Just a few observations after seeing TESB again the other day....

     There was NO music playing when Boba Fett took off with Han.

     My impression is that there is a definite resemblence, in both voice
and visage, between Obiwan and the Emperor.  I, however, failed to do the
incredibly obvious; could someone out there in Netland who intends to see
the movie PLEASE stick around for the credits and perhaps resolve the
controversy by noting who played the Emperor!!

     There are certain hints that Han is somewhat adept in the Force:

----He was the one who blindsided Vader during the battle of the Death Star,
without Vader being tipped off by the Force!

----He found Luke during whiteout conditions, with probably hundreds of acres
to cover. (Also note that he appears in the same spot as Obiwan's apparition!)

----Other than Obiwan, Luke, and Vader, he is the only one that I can remember
who uses a lightsaber!

----In the asteroid field, not only does he miss all the asteroids, but he
outmaneuvers presumably the best fighter pilots in the galaxy! (They were
part of Vader's fleet, hence more likely to be the best.)

----In the dining room scene, Vader must parry Han's shots before wresting
the blaster from him.  Vader should've been able to see in Han's mind that
he would shoot, or presumably some scared officer would've fragged him by now.

     Note: These are only observations/speculations.  I have no definite
op
inion.  I think I'll wait until RotJ.

                             els[Eric Strobel]
                             pur-ee!pur-phy!els

VAF@CMU-CS-C (12/18/82)

From:  Vince Fuller <VAF at CMU-CS-C>

Date: 14 Dec 82 11:13:37-PST (Tue)
    From: harpo!ihnp4!ixn5c!inuxc!pur-ee!CSvax.Pucc-H.Physics.els at, Ucb-C70
    To:   SF-LOVERS at MIT-MC
    Re:   Food for thought...........TESB, the 'other, etc.

    .
    .
    .

         There are certain hints that Han is somewhat adept in the Force:

    .
    .
    .
The points made in this message are rather intriguing and lead me to a
slightly strange conclusion: Solo does have some mastery of the force,
but has obviously never had any training in it and doesn't seem to
have any deep mastery or understanding of what he does - he is an
'idiot savant' wielder of the force. I think he instinctively uses
parts of the force which are sensible enough to believe in - he is
incredibly 'lucky', but remember 'in my experience, there is no such
thing as luck', so luck is probably just an everyday manifestation of
the force, which some people happen to be blessed with an ability to
control (well, sort of...). What do others think of this slightly
off-the-wall conjecture?

--vaf