[comp.lang.c++] ZTC++ 2.10

Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) (05/23/90)

In a message of <May 21 17:14>, David S. Masterson (cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET ) writes:

 >Anyone know if Zortech C++ is compatible with a PC/XT system with 640K?

  Yes - in fact if you're really masochistic, you can even run it off of 360K
floppies. :-)

In a message of <May 21 21:02>, Steve Hite (steve@hite386.UUCP ) writes:

 >I am going to upgrade and I'm also going to "upgrade" from Turbo C 2.0 to
 >Turbo C++ 1.0 ($125...NICE price) and then I'll post a subjective :-)
 >comparison to the net in late July.

  I was supposed to have received TC++ last Fri, the 18th, but it has yet to
arrive. I'm waiting, less than patiently. I'm real anxious to pit VROOMM
against 2.10 beta's VCM and __handle pointers.

 >  If it's not too late, perhaps, Bob, you could suggest to Zortech
 >(i.e. Walter, are you listening?) that a key-bindings for Brief 3.0
 >compatibility be added as well.  I would gamble to say that, in the DOS
 >world, more professional programmers use Brief than any other EMACS clone.
 >However, since this product is eventually going over to Unix...EMACS is not
 >such a bad choice after all.  It beats WordStar :-).  Also, if the editor is
 >"EMACS compatible", does this mean that there is a macro language included
 >also or just equivalent key-bindings?

  Brief key bindings have been promised either on BIX or Walter's BBS, but I
doubt if they'll be in the 2.10 release. Also the EMACS bindings are just that
- no extension or macro language is supported. It really is pretty nice, but
certainly not nice enough to temp me away from Epsilon.

 >  One last thing...PLEASE put an index in the back of every manual this
 >time.

  The new manuals are being typeset now and I understand this will be changed
in 2.10.

 >  That's okay, Bob, your objective opinion is always welcome here. :-)

  Well, it'll be one h*ll of a lot more objective when Borland finally sends me
the TC++ they promised! <grin & grump>

 >  [Bob (VROOMM = __handle + VCM + hype) Stout] == a satisfied Zortech C++
 >customer and beta-tester who has not tried Turbo C++ yet but is already sold
 >on the idea that ZTC++ 2.10 is better.

  Actually, sight-unseen, I assume TC++ has a slicker (though not necessarily
"better") user interface and that the C++ version of TD is probably a little
better than ZDB. You're right in that I expect a refinement of a two-year old
compiler to produce better code than version 1.0 of anything - especially
since, for the work I do (important disclaimer - your mileage may vary), ZTC
has always produced superior code compared with TC. Since I don't use the IDE
and ZDB is awfully close to being as good as TD, I will be surprised if I don't
prefer ZTC++ 2.10 to TC++ 1.0, but Borland's always welcome to try and change
my mind. The biggest prejudices I have against Borland aren't technical, but
relate to my perceptions of their marketing and their president. Shoot, I
prefer ZTC to MSC, but after having lived with it for a while now, my opinion
of MSC 6.0 is a lot higher than some folks I know who aren't known to be
Zortech partisans as I am.

steve@hite386.UUCP (Steve Hite) (05/26/90)

Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) writes:

>  Actually, sight-unseen, I assume TC++ has a slicker (though not necessarily
>"better") user interface and that the C++ version of TD is probably a little
>better than ZDB. You're right in that I expect a refinement of a two-year old
>compiler to produce better code than version 1.0 of anything - especially
>since, for the work I do (important disclaimer - your mileage may vary), ZTC

Bob,
   Wasn't there something in either InfoWorld or ComputerWorld in the
past year that stated that Borland *bought* (maybe read licensed, dunno)
some C++ technology from Oregon Software?  If this is so, then it is
possible that the code quality of TC++ could be >= that of ZTC 2.06 and
maybe your 2.10 beta.  We'll know soon enough, I guess.

   As a side note, is it possible to send you e-mail from Usenet via that
long and nasty looking fidonet address you have? :-)  I've enjoyed reading
your messages on a local Opus board in town (Jacksonville, FL).   Perhaps
you could send me a test message and I'll try to send it back.

Steve Hite
...gatech!uflorida!unf7!hite386!steve