[comp.lang.c++] Standard Libraries for C++?

sdm@cs.brown.edu (Scott Meyers) (07/12/90)

What is the status of "standard libraries" for C++?  I expected that the
AT&T iostream library, among others, would be proposed for a standard, but
I see no mention of them anywhere in Ellis and Stroustrup.  Is there a
proposed standard I/O library, or is it every compiler for itself?

Scott

steve@taumet.com (Stephen Clamage) (07/13/90)

sdm@cs.brown.edu (Scott Meyers) writes:

>What is the status of "standard libraries" for C++?  I expected that the
>AT&T iostream library, among others, would be proposed for a standard, but
>I see no mention of them anywhere in Ellis and Stroustrup.  Is there a
>proposed standard I/O library, or is it every compiler for itself?

The recently-formed ANSI C++ committee, X3J16, has the task of
standardizing the C++ language.  Part of this is to specify zero or
more standard libraries.  Which libraries become part of the standard
is still an open question, and will not be settled soon.  So for the
next year or two, you are on your own.