[comp.lang.c++] Book on oo based C

leo@atcmp.nl (Leo Willems) (07/16/90)

I am looking for a book which describes the object oriented concepts,
but its examples must be expressed in C (so it will be object based).

Can somebody give references on the subject?

Thanks

Leo

 Leo Willems			Internet: leo@atcmp.nl
 AT Computing			UUCP:     mcsun!hp4nl!kunivv1!atcmpe!leo
 P. O. Box 1428
 6501 BK  Nijmegen		Phone:    +31-80-566880
 The Netherlands		Fax:	  +31-80-555887

dch@aeg.dsto.oz.au (Dave Hanslip) (07/17/90)

leo@atcmp.nl (Leo  Willems) writes:

>I am looking for a book which describes the object oriented concepts,
>but its examples must be expressed in C (so it will be object based).

>Can somebody give references on the subject?

"Object Oriented Program Design in C++" by Mullins, Addison Wesley 1989
is excellent.

daniel@terra.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) (07/18/90)

In article <1114@fang.dsto.oz> dch@aeg.dsto.oz.au (Dave Hanslip) writes:
>leo@atcmp.nl (Leo  Willems) writes:
>
>>I am looking for a book which describes the object oriented concepts,
>>but its examples must be expressed in C (so it will be object based).
>
>"Object Oriented Program Design in C++" by Mullins, Addison Wesley 1989
>is excellent.

Try also ``C++ for C programmers,'' by Pohl, Benjamin Cummins, 1990

daniel@cis.ucsc.edu

chris@uswmrg2.UUCP (Chris Fedde) (07/19/90)

In article <5221@darkstar.ucsc.edu> daniel@terra.UUCP (Daniel Edelson) writes:
>In article <1114@fang.dsto.oz> dch@aeg.dsto.oz.au (Dave Hanslip) writes:
>>leo@atcmp.nl (Leo  Willems) writes:
>>
>>>I am looking for a book which describes the object oriented concepts,
>>>but its examples must be expressed in C (so it will be object based).
>>
>>"Object Oriented Program Design in C++" by Mullins, Addison Wesley 1989
>>is excellent.
>
>Try also ``C++ for C programmers,'' by Pohl, Benjamin Cummins, 1990
>
>daniel@cis.ucsc.edu

I think so far we have missed the point here.  The original author
(Leo Willems) is talking about objective techniques using 'C' not
'C++' or some other descendant of the language.

The only book that I have read which addresses concepts of object
programming using normal 'C' syntax: _Reusable_Data_Structures_for_C_
by Roger Sessions (sorry, I don't have the volume at hand for the ISBN).

The author develops a set of techniques for using file scope and
(void*) or (char*) to implement data abstraction and runtime binding.
Polymorphism and inheritance are not addressed at all but then it's
not really a book about object programming just about safe 'C' module
writing.  Still Sessions' techniques can be used to implement a system
which has been derived through object design.  And many concepts and
idoms he uses will be usefull regardless of the language you are using.

--
Anything I may say here are my own opinions; not those of my employer
Chris Fedde     uswmrg2!chris@uswat.uswest.com | ...boulder!uswat!uswmrg2!chris