[comp.lang.c++] NIH Class Library Textbook: where?

ralph@atrp.mit.edu (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (08/09/90)

Well c++ampers,

I've had my Tech Library searching and ordering and I still can't get
my hands on the "NIH Class Library Owners Manual", better known as:
"Data Abstraction and Object-Oriented Programming in C++"
by K. Gorlen, S. Orlow, and P. Plexico (ISBN 0471 92346 X).

What's a new C++ programmer in need of decent classes to do?
They keep telling me: "It's on back order."
I can't seem to borrow a copy from another library.

Three questions:

(1) Does it exist?
(2) Is it worth it?
(3) If you have it, will you rent me your copy for a while?  (1/2 :-) )

Gor-Or-Plex-ing through the source code (I FTP'd it) gives me the willies  :-).

kgorlen@sparkler.dcrt.nih.gov (Keith Gorlen) (08/09/90)

In article <3115@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@atrp.mit.edu (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) writes:
>Well c++ampers,
>
>I've had my Tech Library searching and ordering and I still can't get
>my hands on the "NIH Class Library Owners Manual", better known as:
>"Data Abstraction and Object-Oriented Programming in C++"
>by K. Gorlen, S. Orlow, and P. Plexico (ISBN 0471 92346 X).
>
>What's a new C++ programmer in need of decent classes to do?
>They keep telling me: "It's on back order."
>I can't seem to borrow a copy from another library.
>
>Three questions:
>
>(1) Does it exist?

Yes -- I have *one* copy.

>(2) Is it worth it?

In my objective opinion, it is unquestionably the best C++ book ever
written, or that will ever be written ;-)

>(3) If you have it, will you rent me your copy for a while?  (1/2 :-) )

Sorry, no -- my mom wants my only copy.

I've heard second-hand that U.S. distributors will have it by the end
of the month.  I'll try to get more information on availability from
the publisher and post it.  It the meantime you might try contacting
them directly in England:

	ISBN 047192346X $39.25 (paperback)
	ISBN 047192752X $16.95 (2 disk set)
	ISBN 0471927511 $82.70 (cloth + 2 disk set)

	Customer Service Department
	John Wiley & Sons Limited
	Shripney Road
	Bognor Regis
	West Sussex
	PO22 9SA
	England

If you have any queries please contact:

	Helen Ramsey
	John Wiley & Sons Limited
	Baffins Lane
	Chichester
	West Sussex
	PO19 1UD
	England
--
	Keith Gorlen			phone: (301) 496-1111
	Building 12A, Room 2033		uucp: uunet!nih-csl!kgorlen

johnb@srchtec.UUCP (John Baldwin) (08/09/90)

 (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) writes:

>I've had my Tech Library searching and ordering and I still can't get
>my hands on the "NIH Class Library Owners Manual", better known as:
>"Data Abstraction and Object-Oriented Programming in C++"

The main reason you can't get it is because "you can't get it"....
...its not available yet!

I think the book is due to be released by the publishers late this month
(August 27 comes to mind, but that may be inaccurate.)

p.s. would whoever gets the first copy PLEASE review it here?
--
John T. Baldwin                      |  johnb@srchtec.uucp
Search Technology, Inc.              |  johnb%srchtec.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu

rr5@prism.gatech.EDU (R. Bruce Rakes) (08/10/90)

The book does exist.  I saw a copy a SIGGRAPH'90 in Dallas this week and
was tempted to order it.  Time and forgetfulness kept me from doing so.

--
R. Bruce Rakes
Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta Georgia, 30332