[net.sf-lovers] Grossberg and Japan

VAF@CMU-CS-C (12/30/82)

From:  Vince Fuller <VAF at CMU-CS-C>

Date: 2 Dec 82 00:57-EDT (Thu)
From: the Golux <coar.umass at UDel-Relay>
To:   HUMAN-NETS at MIT-MC
Re:   Grossberg and Japan

O lord! Can't we dispense with the arms race before we start the
brain race?

I just read through my copy of Brunner's ``The Shockwave Rider'' for
about the tenth time, and it raised some questions in my mind
(collaterally triggered by a question about the impact of micros).

In the book, the hardware foundation for the net is rarely referred
to, and is either a terminal or the pleasantly ill-defined
'Fedcomps' when it *is* mentioned.

Of people who have read the book, I ask: Does the culture Brunner
portrays seem reasonable (i.e., a viable possible future), or is it
off the wall? How does the burgeoning micro market impact the
development of his society? If you believe his future is possibly
ahead (please stipulate for this question), do you think personal
micros will be `part' of the net, serve as mere terminals, or have
no connection to the net at all?  Will their influence deteriorate
as time passes and mainframes get better and more readily
accessible?

(yes, yes - I know I forgot to ask about Naomi!)

For those who have not read the book, I recommend it very highly.
It forms a *very* interesting juxtaposition with Spinrad's ``A World
Between'', as far as the use of computers as a communication medium
goes. (Spinrad's book also rates quite high in my estimation.)

        ken
        coar.umass@udel-relay