[comp.lang.c++] response to review of C++ MSDOS compilers

davidi@well.sf.ca.us (David Intersimone) (08/16/90)

In the message with C++ compilers for MSDOS review:
>Article 8958 of 8974, Sat 04:13.
>Subject: C++s for MSDOS - review
>From: SRWMRBD@windy.dsir.govt.nz (ROBERT)
>Date: 11 Aug 90 11:13:55 GMT
>This is a comparison of 3 C++s for MS DOS.
>The compilers are
>   Glockenspiel C++ version 2.00a running with Microsoft C version 5.1;
>   Zortech C++ version 2.06;
>   Turbo C++ version 1.00.

Robert - did you turn off debug information when you determined
the size of the .exe files? that may be a big part of why TC++'s
.exe files are so large. if you have the professional package or
a copy of our Turbo Debugger product you can use the TDSTRIP.EXE
utility to get rid of the debug info without having to relink.

Turbo C++ is both an ANSI C and C++ 2.0 native code compiler. In
order to pack the compiler into the 640k of DOS we use our VROOMM
technology to dynamically load code segments on demand. If you
have expanded (EMS) or extended (EMM) memory the compile times
can be improved. if you use the programmers platform specify the
command line switches /e and/or /x (you can also use the TCINST
program to set those options up). the compiler will use both
types of memory to cache the code segments of the compiler. If
you use the command line compiler specify -Qe (for expanded
memory) and -Qx (for extended memory) to have the compiler cache
its code segments.

Also for anyone reading this message, if you are going to compare
sizes of generated .obj files - you have to look into the object
file itself to see how much code and data was generated. There
are lots of comment records in the .obj file for debugging, path
and timestamp of all header files (autodependencies) used, and
other information for the linker. You can use our TDUMP.EXE
utility that comes with the professional package or the debugger
and tools product to dump out the sizes of code segments and data
segments for .obj and .exe files.

David Intersimone
Director, Developer Relations
Borland International