[comp.lang.c++] Eckel's Using C++ source Code

jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Sather) (08/25/90)

Is this available anywhere via anonymous ftp?  I'd like to save myself the
hastle of typing source in, yet I don't wish to pay $25 for the source code
disk.  If someone else has typed this stuff in, then can it be distributed
freely?  I would think so since after all I do have the book and I could
do it myself.  For that matter, couldn't the code off the actual disks be
distributed since there is no way to distinguishably tell if you had
obtained it from the publishers disk copy or from someone who took the pains
to type it in?  Anyway if it's available somewhere, I sure would like to get
ahold of a copy.

Thanks

-Jim
jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu

steve@taumet.com (Stephen Clamage) (08/28/90)

jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Sather) writes:

>Is this available anywhere via anonymous ftp?  I'd like to save myself the
>hastle of typing source in, yet I don't wish to pay $25 for the source code
>disk.  If someone else has typed this stuff in, then can it be distributed
>freely?  I would think so since after all I do have the book and I could
>do it myself.  For that matter, couldn't the code off the actual disks be
>distributed since there is no way to distinguishably tell if you had
>obtained it from the publishers disk copy or from someone who took the pains
>to type it in?  Anyway if it's available somewhere, I sure would like to get
>ahold of a copy.

Suppose I photocopy Eckel's book, have it printed on indentical paper,
make an exact copy of the cover on identical cover stock, and give
away these copies of the book.  It would be extremely difficult to tell
whether a book was from the publisher or was one of the counterfeits.
Is this legal?  Of course not.

Under the "fair use" doctrine, I may make copies of the book or parts of
the book for my own use, but the whole point of the copyright law is that
I may not distribute such copies without permission.

So posting or otherwise giving away or selling copies of the source code
from the book except as authorized by the copyright holder is illegal.

jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Sather) (08/30/90)

In article <423@taumet.com> steve@taumet.com (Stephen Clamage) writes:
| jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Sather) writes:
|
| >Is this available anywhere via anonymous ftp?  I'd like to save myself the
| >hastle of typing source in, yet I don't wish to pay $25 for the source code
| >disk.  If someone else has typed this stuff in, then can it be distributed
| >freely?  I would think so since after all I do have the book and I could
| >do it myself.  For that matter, couldn't the code off the actual disks be
| >distributed since there is no way to distinguishably tell if you had
| >obtained it from the publishers disk copy or from someone who took the pains
| >to type it in?  Anyway if it's available somewhere, I sure would like to get
| >ahold of a copy.
|
| Suppose I photocopy Eckel's book, have it printed on indentical paper,
| make an exact copy of the cover on identical cover stock, and give
| away these copies of the book.  It would be extremely difficult to tell
| whether a book was from the publisher or was one of the counterfeits.
| Is this legal?  Of course not.
|
| Under the "fair use" doctrine, I may make copies of the book or parts of
| the book for my own use, but the whole point of the copyright law is that
| I may not distribute such copies without permission.
|
| So posting or otherwise giving away or selling copies of the source code
| from the book except as authorized by the copyright holder is illegal.
| --
|
| Steve Clamage, TauMetric Corp, steve@taumet.com

I don't think your analogy quite fits.  I would compare this more to hand
writing out a few select pages of a book and giving it to a friend/s.  I
think that would fall into the "fair use" catagory.  After all what you are
saying is that I can type it in straight out of the book yet I am not allowed
to have someone else do it for me, unless it's the publisher and I pay them
$25 dollars.  So I can't even have a friend, who has the book also type in
the source code for both of us?  This sounds rediculous.  I realize this is
starting to take up too much bandwidth so email all replys directly to
me.  Any lawyer types out there that have a definite answer on this?

-Jim
jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu

joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) (09/04/90)

In article <6718@milton.u.washington.edu- , jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Sather) writes:
- Is this available anywhere via anonymous ftp?  I'd like to save myself the
- hastle of typing source in, yet I don't wish to pay $25 for the source code
- disk.  If someone else has typed this stuff in, then can it be distributed
- freely?  I would think so since after all I do have the book and I could
- do it myself.  For that matter, couldn't the code off the actual disks be
- distributed since there is no way to distinguishably tell if you had
- obtained it from the publishers disk copy or from someone who took the pains
- to type it in?  Anyway if it's available somewhere, I sure would like to get
- ahold of a copy.

I knew Bruce's email address and also knew he probably didn't read usenet
so I forwarded a copy of the above message to him.  Here is his response:

- Date: 02 Sep 90 22:59:25 EDT
- From: Bruce Eckel <72070.3256@compuserve.com>
- To:  <joe@proto.COM>
- Subject: I found this on the net...
-
- Thanks for forwarding the message.  Here's the message I'm sending to the
- fellow; post it if you feel so inclined:
-
- The source code is not freely distributable, or in the public domain in any
- way.  Once you've bought it, you can use it in compiled form in any of your
- projects, but you may not distribute the source, which is copyrighted.
- Please respect the copyright.
-
- There is over 1/2 megabyte of code, which includes a number of projects
- which do not appear in the book, but which I have created since the book was
- written.  I think you'll find it worth the price.  Your order will be
- processed more quickly if you send it to:
-
- Revolution2
- P.O. Box 760
- Kennett Square, PA 19348