[comp.lang.c++] Compiler bug reporing

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (09/11/90)

In article <1430@proto.COM> joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) writes:
>In article <17.26EA603B@ananke.stgt.sub.org>, kaiser@ananke.stgt.sub.org
>(Andreas Kaiser) writes:
>
>[...Bug report for Zortech C++ compiler...]
>
>You may mail your bug reports to the engineers, tech support, and tech
>writers by sending them to 'zortech-bugs@proto.com' or
>'uunet!proto!zortech-bugs'.  Posting them on the net is probably
>inappropriate most of the time.

I could not disagree more.  I have in the past posted innumerable bug
reports on various C++ language processors here (mostly for cfront and
for g++).  Many readers of this newsgroup have thanked me for this effort
to make both users and vendors aware of the current shortcommings of
these C++ language processor products.  I hope to find time to do more of
this in the future.

One thing is certain.  Expecting C++ vendors to come clean and publically
admit the true number and severity of bugs in their own products is kinda
like expecting the fox to guard the chicken coop.

If seeing bug reports for your products posted to the net bothers you, I
believe that there is a simple solution.  It's called testing.

In the meantime, I personally would like to encourage everyone to post
(carfully considered) bug reports to this newsgroup.  I (for one) have
been saving each and every one of these for quite some time.  I hope
to have the time (one of these days) to go back over the year + worth
of reports that I have saved and add them all to my own set of compiler
test cases.
--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg@ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (09/13/90)

In article <1520@lupine.NCD.COM> rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:
<In article <1430@proto.COM< joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) writes:
<<In article <17.26EA603B@ananke.stgt.sub.org<, kaiser@ananke.stgt.sub.org
<<You may mail your bug reports to the engineers, tech support, and tech
<<writers by sending them to 'zortech-bugs@proto.com' or
<<'uunet!proto!zortech-bugs'.  Posting them on the net is probably
<<inappropriate most of the time.
<I could not disagree more.  I have in the past posted innumerable bug
<reports on various C++ language processors here (mostly for cfront and
<for g++).  Many readers of this newsgroup have thanked me for this effort
<to make both users and vendors aware of the current shortcommings of
<these C++ language processor products.

I think perhaps you misunderstand. *Anyone* can subscribe to the zortech-bugs
list (our competitors even subscribe to it!). If you post to the bug list,
anyone subscribing to it gets a copy. This means that only those interested
in seeing it see it. It's an open forum, nothing is being swept under the
rug.

<If seeing bug reports for your products posted to the net bothers you, I
<believe that there is a simple solution.  It's called testing.

What bothers me is *not* getting the bug reports at all. Posting them to
the zortech-bug list ensures that they don't disappear off the net news
horizon if I don't log in for a few days (I *do* go on vacation now and
then!).

We believe in helping our customers solve their programming problems,
and being open about bugs and workarounds helps them get their job done.