[comp.lang.c++] What is ET++? Where to get it?

hvaisane@ujocs.joensuu.fi (Hannu V{is{nen) (09/20/90)

I have heard that ET++ is some kind of class library for C++.
If this is true where I could ftp it? Is it in public domain?
(If it is not, dont bother :-)

billw@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Bill Walburg) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep20.042640.6698@ujocs.joensuu.fi>, hvaisane@ujocs.joensuu.fi (Hannu V{is{nen) writes:
> I have heard that ET++ is some kind of class library for C++.
> If this is true where I could ftp it? Is it in public domain?
> (If it is not, dont bother :-)

It is actually more than just a C++ library, it is also a programming
environment similar the the MacApp environment.  ET++ was written at
the University of Zurich by Erich Gamma, Rudolf Marty, and Andre Weinand.
It was first implemented in C language and called ET, then later
rewritten in C++.  It gives the programmer a class browser,
inheritance tree diagram, and a smalltalk-like library of objects (among
other things).  The environment runs under X windows, SunView, and
NeWS.

You can get it via anonymous ftp from cayuga.cs.rochester.edu
(192.5.53.209) in the files pub/et++-1.0.tar.Z[1234] (there is
supposed to be a newer release that supports C++ 2.0, but I don't
have it yet :( ).  I had problems compiling 1.0 with a 2.0 cfront
and G++ because it uses assignments to the -this- pointer in
constructors (which was made obsolete by 2.0).  If you have C++ 2.0
I would advise getting the new code, if not et++ 1.0 should be
good enough.

--
Bill Walburg @ Xetron Corporation, Cincinnati, Ohio
billw@kgw2.bwi.wec.com     ..!uunet!tron!kgw2!billw