[comp.lang.c++] C++ text book

lius@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Sying-Syang Liu) (09/26/90)

I am looking for good C++ text books for students who have background on
other high level languages, such as Ada, C, or Pascal.

Any suggestions?  Please reply by e-mail.  Thanks.

-- Prof. Sying-Syang Liu, lius@ufl.edu
   SERC, CIS Department, University of Florida, U.S.A.

pattis@cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) (09/27/90)

In article <LIUS.90Sep26122045@reef.cis.ufl.edu>, lius@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Sying-Syang Liu) writes:
> I am looking for good C++ text books for students who have background on
> other high level languages, such as Ada, C, or Pascal.
>
> Any suggestions?  Please reply by e-mail.  Thanks.

I just received a copy of "Mastering C++: An Introduction to C++ and
Object-oriented Programming for C and Pascal Programmers", by Cay S.
Horstmann, published by John Wiley and Sons (ISBN 0-471-52257-0).

At first glance it looks good; also, Cay has been a frequent contributor
to this news group, and I have always found interesting, well-explained
ideas in his postings - so I expect the book to be interesting and well-
written too.

Rich Pattis