[comp.lang.c++] gorlen's new book

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (09/13/90)

I just got done scanning a copy of Gorlen's long promised:

"Data Abstraction and Object-Oriented Programming in C++"
Gorlen, Orlow, & Plexico
John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester England 1990
ISBN 0 471 92346 X pbk
     0 471 92751 1

and I have to admit I'm quite impressed by the book.  I think it makes for
a good, practical look at programming in C++.  Whether one particularly
likes the Smalltalk approach to libraries or not, I think there is much
real world knowledge to be gleamed from this book.  It should appeal to
people who have read a book or two on C++ already -- this book covers a lot
of ground quickly.  Its written at a level maybe one step easier to read
than C++ proceedings, make that two steps easier to read than E&S.

I think most people can pick up some more "tricks of the trade" by reading
this book -- in particular it covers ADTs and "OOP in C++" as good or
better than any C++ book I've read.  The coding style and conventions are
easy to read, etc.  You'll want to have a copy of the NIHCL libraries
available as you read it.

Highly recommended, based on my preliminary scannings, this will be one
of my favorite C++ books.

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (09/13/90)

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) writes:

>I just got done scanning a copy of Gorlen's long promised:

>"Data Abstraction and Object-Oriented Programming in C++"
>Gorlen, Orlow, & Plexico
>John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester England 1990
>ISBN 0 471 92346 X pbk
>     0 471 92751 1

>and I have to admit I'm quite impressed by the book.

So am I.

>It should appeal to
>people who have read a book or two on C++ already -- this book covers a lot
>of ground quickly.

As someone who belongs to that category, I can completely agree with this.
The book skips exactly those things I already know by now, and focuses
on those aspects of C++ that go beyond 'learning the language'.

>You'll want to have a copy of the NIHCL libraries
>available as you read it.

But it isn't really necessary. The book is just as valuable without it.

>Highly recommended, based on my preliminary scannings, this will be one
>of my favorite C++ books.

Same here. I would like to note again though that this is *not* a
'How To Learn C++' book. For that I use Lipmann's 'C++ Primer' and
together these two books will form all the reference material I need
for the moment.

--
Leo Breebaart  (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) (09/15/90)

Is the book by Gorlen et al. officially available?  John Wiley's order
department says that the book won't be available until October 15th; they
don't even have a price yet.

If you've purchased a copy of the book, I'd really appreciate it if you'd send
me a message telling me where you got it.
Bill Mitchell				whm@sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!whm@arizona.edu
930 N. Finance Center Dr.               {arizona,uunet}!sunquest!whm
Tucson, AZ, 85710                       sunquest!whm@uunet.uu.net
602-885-7700

whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) (09/18/90)

A few days ago I wrote:

> Is the book by Gorlen et al. officially available?  John Wiley's order
> department says that the book won't be available until October 15th; they
> don't even have a price yet.

I've received a flood of replies from persons who have gotten the book both from
bookstores and direct from John Wiley.  It's also available in Europe.

'Must have been some sort of computer error at John Wiley; maybe they should
rewrite their system in C++.

Many thanks to all who responded.  A number of persons supplied the names and
numbers of bookstores where they'd bought the book.  I see no point in
reproducing those here, but if you're having trouble finding the book, mail
me and I'll cite some sources.
Bill Mitchell				whm@sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!whm@arizona.edu
930 N. Finance Center Dr.               {arizona,uunet}!sunquest!whm
Tucson, AZ, 85710                       sunquest!whm@uunet.uu.net
602-885-7700

Eugene.Kulinek@image.FIDONET.ORG (Eugene Kulinek) (09/27/90)

I fully agree with your comments on the Gorlen's book. I covered few
first chapters which made me even more convinced that OOP is the
way to go.

Lately I have seen a video tape on Apple's project of building
Smaltalk. Also there they presented advandages and ways of
using OO (largely language independent). Interesting was part
showing simplification of programming when OO language is used.

Regards.

--
Eugene Kulinek - via FidoNet node 1:107/250
UUCP: alps!image!Eugene.Kulinek