[comp.lang.c++] using c++ for a real-time operating system

rhl@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Hartill) (10/08/90)

INFORMATION WANTED...

I've just started a PhD reaseach into developing a real-time operating system
for a Programmable Communications Controller (PCC).

The PCC is based on a intel 386 processor, and is inserted into a
PC-AT expansion port.

Primarily, the PCC is used to control the I/O for around 40 PC-terminals,

The host PC will run Concurrent Dos (Digital Research) or any of a number of    Unix implementations.

Depending on feedback from this posting and other investigations I may include
some form of Object Oriented programming into the design.

If you have any comments, suggestions, advice on any of the following subjects
(or anything you think may be of help to me) please e-mail me. Any useful info  that I receive which may be of interest to this newsgroup's readers will be
passed on.

Subjects;

Real-time systems (R-T operting systems in particular)
Memory management on the 386
Public Domain debuggers/hardware monitors for the 386
distributed operating systems
Real-Time scheduling algorithms
Use of Object Oriented programming
etc

Thanx in advance..

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+| Robert Hartill                                                               || University Of Wales College Cardiff (UK)                                     |
| Department Of Computing Mathematics (COMMA)                                  |

kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM (Anthony C. Garland) (10/12/90)

rhl@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Hartill) writes:

>INFORMATION WANTED...

>I've just started a PhD reaseach into developing a real-time operating system
>for a Programmable Communications Controller (PCC).

>If you have any comments, suggestions, advice on any of the following subjects
>(or anything you think may be of help to me) please e-mail me. Any useful info  that I receive which may be of interest to this newsgroup's readers will be
>passed on.

>Subjects;

>Real-time systems (R-T operting systems in particular)
>Memory management on the 386
>Public Domain debuggers/hardware monitors for the 386
>distributed operating systems
>Real-Time scheduling algorithms
>Use of Object Oriented programming
>etc

You may want to contact Wind River Systems (vendors of VxWorks) or put out
another query about their user's group.  At my previous job we were involved
with using C++ (ala GNU g++) with the VxWorks RTOS.  The user's group has an
archive of software from various members - a hefty bit of which was
implementation of RTOS objects (semaphores, priority queues, etc).

Sorry I don't have the e-mail connection for the user's group handy.  In any
case, you can reach Wind River Systems at

	support@wrs.com

and maybe they can provide the info.  If not, maybe somebody on this newsgroup
can help out my memory?
| Anthony C. Garland, P.E.                                 Garland Consulting |
| 1373 S. Bonanza Alley,                                       (206) 387-6390 |
| Camano Island, WA 98292                               kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM |