[comp.lang.c++] errata list

stanl@cbnewsm.att.com (stanley.b.lippman) (11/21/90)

brad appleton writes:

> Well, since my original post I have recieved loads of e-mail
> asking me to post such I list if I received it.
> I have not recieved it. The posting quoted above
> had some useful information regarding various revisions
> but is still not an errata listing (of typos and other
> misinformation in LippMan's Text).

> I have sent e-mail directly to the author asking for such
> a list to be posted but I have no knowledge of its receipt
> by the author. IMHO, It has become increasingly clear
> however that such an "errata list" is NOT currently available.

**** hmm.  mea culpa.  mea culpa.  i seem to have become an
	object (``LippMan'') of Mr. Appleton's impatience.
        For everyone wishing for an errata list,
		(a) no, an errata list is NOT currently available.
		(b) yes, as i wrote Mr. Appleton privately just
			last night, while home next week with
			our new baby, i'll write one up and post it.

	Please realize that I meant nothing personal by not formally
	keeping up an errata list.  As I discovered typos and
	whatnot, I carefully noted them in the margins of a copy
	of the Primer and sent corrections along to A_W for a next
	printing.  Frankly, I never imagined the book would find
	such a wide readership or that there would be the demand,
	or need (sigh) for such a list.

	As to not responding swiftly to mail, and the like, please
	keep in mind that my task within Bell Laboratories is
	working on cfront, and at this point in time particularly
	getting Release 3.0 implemented consumes most of my
	attention (and that of the others on the cfront team).
        i wrote much of the Primer during off-hours
	(as my wife will sadly attest to) while working first on
	1.2 then 2.0 and I think that everyone will agree that
	given a choice between a cfront and a Primer, cfront
	must take precedence.

> errata listing (of typos and other misinformation in LippMan's Text)
> one list out of the whole mess and post it back to this newsgroup

**** well, cfront, the Primer, my children -- there's no end
	of opportunities for error.  I just like to think i've
	been careful enough not to make them on the things
	that really count ...

	anyone wishing to contact me can reach me at
	stan@mozart.att.com