[comp.lang.c++] Object Oriented Concurrent Programming

jon@runx.ips.oz (Jonathon Seymour) (02/28/89)

One of these irritating but necessary requests for basic info on C++
compilers and techniques.

I am investigating the possibility of using a C++ compiler for an
undergraduate electrical engineering thesis. The hardware I will be
using is PC compatible. Some questions:

	Zortech C++. I have seen this mentioned all over this newsgroup.

	   - Where would I find a review of this product?

	   - What is its method of code generation? (i.e. is it *merely*
	     a C preprocessor)?

           - Can the object files it generates be used with those
	     generated by C and pascal compilers? (I know little about the
	     details of the PC development environment as this question may
	     imply)

	   - Are there other alternatives in the same price range?

	   - (Australia only: Is is distributed here? Who distributes it?)

	   - Are there any religious fanatics about the place (Fortran
	     programmers, for example) who would object violently if I
	     bought this product?

More generally. In a fuzzy-headed sort of way I am interested in applying
object oriented techniques to problems of concurrency. I need some
references. I have found one. A whole book on the subject "Object Oriented
Concurrent Programming" by Yonezawa and Tokoro. Published by MIT Press. When
I say found I mean I have found the reference, not the book. Is it any
good? How about examples of multi-tasking kernels implemented in object
oriented languages? Other references?

jon.

----

Many thanks to all the kind people who replied to my Concurrent C message
a while back. For those who are interested: Concurrent C is stable and has
been implemented in a few UNIX/(UNIX-like?) environments but not in
a PC environment.

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (03/02/89)

In article <2025@runx.ips.oz> jon@runx.UUCP (Jonathon Seymour) writes:
>	Zortech C++. I have seen this mentioned all over this newsgroup.
>	   - Where would I find a review of this product?
There are reviews of Zortech C, which is a subset of Zortech C++, in
Feb BYTE, Feb Computer Language, and March MicroCornucopia. The published
reviews of Zortech C++ have not had much useful information in them.
>	   - What is its method of code generation? (i.e. is it *merely*
>	     a C preprocessor)?
Two pass compiler with an optional third optimizing pass. It's not a
translator or compiler, it generates object code directly.
>           - Can the object files it generates be used with those
>	     generated by C and pascal compilers?
Standard .OBJ files are generated, and it can link most easily with Zortech
C and MASM output. Linking with output from other compilers is possible but
is not for the novice.
>	   - (Australia only: Is is distributed here? Who distributes it?)
The phone number is (617) 646-6703.
>How about examples of multi-tasking kernels implemented in object
>oriented languages? Other references?
Dr. Dobb's Journal recently (Feb 89?) published an article on using Zortech
C++ to develop a multitasking kernel.

Standard Disclaimer: I wrote ZTC++, and get money for it's sales, and other
than that have absolutely no connection with it. :-)

wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (03/02/89)

In article <2025@runx.ips.oz>, jon@runx.ips.oz (Jonathon Seymour) writes:
> One of these irritating but necessary requests for basic info on C++
> compilers and techniques.
> [ ... he wants MS-DOS C++ ... ]
>
> 	Zortech C++. I have seen this mentioned all over this newsgroup.
>
> 	   - Where would I find a review of this product?

	Numerous trade journals, at least US ones.

> 	   - What is its method of code generation? (i.e. is it *merely*
> 	     a C preprocessor)?

	No, a true compiler.

>            - Can the object files it generates be used with those
> 	     generated by C and pascal compilers?

	C, yes [ Zortech's ztc module does C++ if your program has
		 an extension of .cpp, C if .c, and masm if .asm ]; Pascal ???
	Zortech C++ 1.07 can interface to Microsoft CodeView (sort of ...).

> 	   - Are there other alternatives in the same price range?

	Not yet; the others cost about 2-3 times as much.  Microsoft has
	announced a C++ Real Soon Now, but would you care to bet it will
	cost more than $149?

> 	   - (Australia only: Is is distributed here? Who distributes it?)

	Zortech appears to be a UK company with a USA subsidiary.

> 	   - Are there any religious fanatics about the place (Fortran
> 	     programmers, for example) who would object violently if I
> 	     bought this product?

	Yes, but who cares about religious fanatics?  The worst they can
	do is to put a $5,000,000 bounty on your head!!!

	Besides, there are pro-C++ fanatics who will object violently if
	you do NOT buy Zortech C++!!
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!liberty!burdvax!ubbpc!wgh
Unisys UNIX Portation Center

stoppani@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Peter Stoppani) (03/06/89)

>   Zortech C++. I have seen this mentioned all over this newsgroup.
>
>      - Where would I find a review of this product?

           1)  "The C++ Report", January 1989.
           2)  "BYTE", November 1988.

>      - Are there other alternatives in the same price range?

           1) Digitalk's Smalltalk/V goes for about $100.  It provides
              one of the best program development environments available.
              Smalltalk/286 is about $200 (I think) and is taylored
              toward the 286 processor for better performance.

Pete Stoppani

    UUCP: {...}!hplabs!hpda!stoppani
    -or-     stoppani@hpda

ahudli@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (anand hudli) (12/20/90)

I am looking for a way to implement object oriented
concurrent programming solutions  to several problems in manufacturing
process control. Is there a way to do this with C++ (perhaps, combined with
concurrent C) ? Or is some other language (like Ada ) more suitable?

 Any suggestions are welcome.

Anand V. Hudli
ahudli@silver.ucs.indiana.edu