[comp.lang.c++] Why the politics

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (12/13/90)

The purpose of the GNU project is to promote cooperation within
society, in particular the sharing of software.  We write software in
order to get people involved in sharing.  The means we use are
technical, but the purpose is sociopolitical.

There are occasionally people who want to use GNU software but have
contempt for the reasons for which people work on it.  They tell the
volunteers, in effect, "Shut up with the philosophy and write me some
more software."  To me, this seems ungrateful as well as short-sighted.

Promoting a different attitude is what the GNU project is all about.
This is not done by force--people can keep that attitude if they want
to.  However, if they disagree with the aims of the GNU project, the
proper place for them to say so is on gnu.misc.discuss.  That's the
group for discussing whether the aims and methods of the GNU project
are good ones.  The other GNU newsgroups/mailing lists are for
*carrying out* the work of the GNU project--to attain both the
immediate technical subgoals, and the ultimate social goals.

00prneubauer@bsu-ucs.uucp (Paul Neubauer) (12/13/90)

In article <9012122154.AA24034@mole.ai.mit.edu>, rms@AI.MIT.EDU
(Richard Stallman) writes:
> Promoting a different attitude is what the GNU project is all about.
> This is not done by force--people can keep that attitude if they want
> to.  However, if they disagree with the aims of the GNU project, the
> proper place for them to say so is on gnu.misc.discuss.  That's the
> group for discussing whether the aims and methods of the GNU project
> are good ones.  The other GNU newsgroups/mailing lists are for
> *carrying out* the work of the GNU project--to attain both the
> immediate technical subgoals, and the ultimate social goals.

Whether I agree or disagree with the aims of the GNU project and/or of the FSF,
or even whether I can determine to what extent I agree and/or disagree with
these aims is completely irrelevant to any discussion I can imagine on the
features/merits/syntax/semantics/etc of the c++ language.  It does seem,
however, that rms does not exactly practice what he preaches and restrict
meta-discussion to groups like gnu.misc.discuss, but instead feels free to
inject discussions of topics like software patents into newsgroups like
comp.lang.c++ regardless of specific relevance.  This is not to say that I do
not find these discussions interesting, nor to say that I am unsympathetic to
his points.  It is merely that I fail to see the specific RELEVANCE of this
discussion to the c++ language.  I realize that gnu mailing lists are not "the
net" and that even if we were actually dealing only with a netnews newsgroup,
there is no mechanism for restricting people from posting any message in any
newsgroup, *even if it were desireable*.  In any case, I have neither the power
nor the desire to restrict rms from posting anything he wants to in what are
effectively his own mailing lists. On the other hand, this is exactly why the
gnu.* mailing lists, etc. SHOULD be decoupled from comp.lang.c++.

If rms's mailing list were decoupled from comp.lang.c++, then flamage for
irrelevancy would become more appropriate, like the flames apparently received
by the guy who recently posted a (large) item about something called "mud" to
rec.games.go.  If I want to read about stupid adventure games, then I will read
whatever newsgroups are appropriate to that topic, I should not have to weed
out irrelevancies from the groups that I do read.  Similarly, (and NOT to
compare the level of interest or intelligence displayed with "mud" :-) if I or
anyone wants to read about the c++ language, then we should not have to weed
out articles about software patents, which have nothing in particular to do
with c++, however much importance they have for the field of computing as a
whole.  (In fact, I happen to agree with rms that the issue is an important one
and merits discussion.  It is simply that I disagree on whether the c++
newsgroup is the best place for that discussion.)

In short, on the subject of whether to decouple the gnu.* mailing lists from
comp.lang.c++, I concur that they should be separated.

========
Paul Neubauer	neubauer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu         00prneubauer@bsu-ucs.bsu.edu
                neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP            00prneubauer@bsu-ucs.UUCP
                                                00PRNEUBAUER@BSUVAX1.BITNET

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (12/25/90)

In article <9012122154.AA24034@mole.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:
|The purpose of the GNU project is to promote cooperation within
|society, in particular the sharing of software.  We write software in
|order to get people involved in sharing.  The means we use are
|technical, but the purpose is sociopolitical.

Many people have many differing ideas of what it means to be able to share
ideas.  For some people "sharing" means making libraries available at
affordable prices, and without prohibitive licensing agreements.  Other
people say: "I'll share, but only among my friends, and people who
agree with me." [Sounds like a country-club to me.]  Other people see
"sharing" as the free and open exchange of ideas without childish insults
and name calling.  To other people "sharing" means having a notes forum,
based around "C++" for example where they can meet, ask for help, and
be able to get intelligent answers to their questions.  These people are
not free to "share" comp.lang.c++ when it is swamped by political
flame wars.

I believe most people using comp.lang.c++ believe in sharing, believe in
reusable software, believe in avoiding unnecessary and boring repetitive
copying of the prior work of other programmers.  We just disagree on the
proper way to best "share" our efforts for the benifit of society.

|There are occasionally people who want to use GNU software but have
|contempt for the reasons for which people work on it.  They tell the
|volunteers, in effect, "Shut up with the philosophy and write me some
|more software."  To me, this seems ungrateful as well as short-sighted.

Perhaps because Stallman  misunderstands what they say: first of all they don't
have comtempt for the reasons people work on gnu -- which is to try
to share their efforts with fellow programmers, rather they have comtempt
for the methods used to try to force the sharing of software -- which is
more punitive and restrictive legal agreements.  Second, they don't say
"shut up and write me some more software," they say "shut up and write
*your* software -- it'll never be *my* software while it contains punitive
licensing agreements."

|Promoting a different attitude is what the GNU project is all about.
|This is not done by force--people can keep that attitude if they want
|to.  However, if they disagree with the aims of the GNU project, the
|proper place for them to say so is on gnu.misc.discuss.  That's the
|group for discussing whether the aims and methods of the GNU project
|are good ones.  The other GNU newsgroups/mailing lists are for
|*carrying out* the work of the GNU project--to attain both the
|immediate technical subgoals, and the ultimate social goals.

If gnu.misc.discuss is the correct notes-group to discuss GNU philosophies,
then can we ask that Stallman also direct his comments there?  Thus freeing up
some non-gnu notes groups such as comp.lang.c++ for their proper role,
namely discussing the C++ language ?

Or does Stallman place such a priority on the work of GNU that trashing
other notes groups means nothing to him?  Are other people also allowed
to persue what they believe are the proper courses of action towards the
benefit of society, or is Stallman to dominate all news groups with his
philosophies?

Please, can we get off this crapola and back to C++ ?  It wastes my time,
your time, and Stallman's precious time.