[comp.lang.c++] Linn Rekursiv

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (12/31/90)

Has anybody out there in the real world done any work with David Harland/Linn
Smart Computing's Rekursiv chip set by way of using C++ with it?

In Harland's book "Rekursiv - Object orientated computer architectures" he
references "The C++ programming Language" in the bibliography, and talks a
little about possible implementation schemes - his --C++ concept, but I
haven't heard anything further in recent times.

Anybody out there want to comment?

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (01/08/91)

In article <martino.662639244@krypton> martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) writes:
|In Harland's book "Rekursiv - Object orientated computer architectures" he
|references "The C++ programming Language" in the bibliography, and talks a
|little about possible implementation schemes - his --C++ concept, but I
|haven't heard anything further in recent times.
|
|Anybody out there want to comment?

People who still think in terms of a pointer being an address into a huge
linear array of bytes ought to read about Rekursiv, and think about what would
be required to write a C++ compiler [and portable software] for this
architecture.  If one is creating an "object oriented" language or
"object oriented" software, then such ought to be portable to an
"object oriented" architecture.

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (01/16/91)

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) writes:

>In article <martino.662639244@krypton> martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) writes:
>|In Harland's book "Rekursiv - Object orientated computer architectures" he
>|references "The C++ programming Language" in the bibliography, and talks a
>|little about possible implementation schemes - his --C++ concept, but I
>|haven't heard anything further in recent times.
>|
>|Anybody out there want to comment?

>People who still think in terms of a pointer being an address into a huge
>linear array of bytes ought to read about Rekursiv, and think about what would
>be required to write a C++ compiler [and portable software] for this
>architecture.  If one is creating an "object oriented" language or
>"object oriented" software, then such ought to be portable to an
>"object oriented" architecture.

I think I agree (I'm still trying to work out one or two of the points in
the response).

The sort of thing I was thinking of for implementation schemes lay within
'synergystic' processor architectures, where Rekursiv would be used to
manipulate the objects required within most control or simulation enviroments
and a more conventional processor would take responsibility for running the
front end, and coordinating other actions (graphic handling for example?).

This bastardised approach may offend purists, but with care it would be
possible to create a compiler which would accept portable code, but optimise
the object(s) for use across the twin processors. Given that the first product
to use Rekursiv was the Hades board for the Sun, and that effectively this uses
the above hardware architecture, I just wondered if anyone had taken the
slippery path towards 'split' software.

At any rate, it's good to hear that people out there are using Rekursiv - I
was getting worried that it wasn't catching on.

Martin