[comp.lang.c++] What debuggers are out there

fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) (01/11/91)

Net.C++.masters:

I have a silly little question for you this time:  is AT&T cfront
debuggable AT THE SOURCE LEVEL by any other means than "printf" type
statements?  I guess that my real question is: are there any debuggers
that will accept the "C-assembly-code" that cfront spits out ???
For thos of you that do use cfront type solutions, how do you do
single stepping, call tracing, breakpoints etc.???

Any help/pointers will be sincerely appreciated...

Farooq

dag@control.lth.se (Dag Bruck) (01/11/91)

In article <3695@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) writes:
>... is AT&T cfront debuggable AT THE SOURCE LEVEL by any other means
> than "printf" type statements?

Try reading:

	Bruck, Dag M. (1990): "Debugging C++ programs with xdbx,"
	The C++ Report, Volume 2, Number 5, May 1990.

I know this a shameful advertisement, so you can read:

	Lenkov, Dmitry and Shankar Unni (1990): "C++ Symbolic
	Debugging," Proc. C++ at Work '90, September 26-28 1990.

to learn what it should really be like (:-).

And then there is g++, Oregon C++, Zortech, Borland, etc...

Dag M. Bruck
--
Department of Automatic Control		E-mail: dag@control.lth.se
Lund Institute of Technology

jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) (01/16/91)

In article <3695@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) writes:
>... is AT&T cfront debuggable AT THE SOURCE LEVEL by any other means
> than "printf" type statements?

	There's a monthly product list which was just posted again
recently.  However, since our latest product isn't on it, (from my first
glance), I'll mention it here: SCO C++ 3.0 is now out, and it is based on
AT&T's 2.1 cfront, with dbXtra, our source-level C++ debugger which has
both a Motif and a Curses (text) interface.

aw1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alfred Benjamin Woodard) (01/17/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.c++: 15-Jan-91 Re: What debuggers are
> out .. Jonathan A. Fischer@sco. (518)

> AT&T's 2.1 cfront, with dbXtra, our source-level C++ debugger which has
> both a Motif and a Curses (text) interface.

A debugger would be nice. I am getting kind of tired of using gdb and
having to type mangled names. So I was wondering where and at what price
dbXtra was availiable and also it's compatablity with ultrix 3.2 and
sunos 3.3. Could someone please answer these questions.

-the first Dolphin

Dolphins, Soon you'll be one of us and then you'll understand.

keffert@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Thomas Keffer) (01/18/91)

In article <3695@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> fmbutt@mrbt.sw.stratus.com (Farooq Butt) writes:
>... is AT&T cfront debuggable AT THE SOURCE LEVEL by any other means
> than "printf" type statements?

Computer Innovations offers a debugger called DEBUG 2000 that I've seen
and used --- it looks pretty good.  The version I saw works only
under Interactive 386 System V.  Maybe they have other versions.

Their number is (201) 542-5920.

Disclaimer: Just a bystander...

-tk
---