[comp.lang.c++] Readiness of g++

eric@brewmaster.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) (01/16/91)

g++ has been evolving along with C++.  Its progression has stopped since
Mr. Tiemann embarked on g++ 2.0, but until then, it was as good as or better
than most other implementations.  It also has had a debugger before most
others.

Don't forget that Saber-C++ and other implementations of C++ 2.0 have only
been out very recently.  And a lot of them still have bugs.  C++ 2.1 is not
6 months old.  C++ is still evolving, and so are its implementations.
That's normal and that's good.  Let Mr. Tiemann the chance to put out his
new workings.  He has done well in the past, hasn't he?  I think you say:
"Give the man a break".  It might well turn out that g++ 2.0 will be the
first complete 2.1 implementation, with templates and exceptions, all
integrated to the debugger.  Of course, it might be easier on us impatient
users if we could know when that would be... ;-)

Until then, g++ 1.37.2 will continue to serve our purposes well, as it has
done for three years now (it and its predecessors, of course).

  Eric Brunelle                     |     "C'est la nuit qu'il est beau
  eric%bnrmtl@iro.umontreal.ca      |         -- Rostand, Chantecler

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan15.231010.14118@scrumpy@.bnr.ca> eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca writes:

>... It might well turn out that g++ 2.0 will be the
>first complete 2.1 implementation, with templates and exceptions, all
>integrated to the debugger.

Do you know something that the rest of us don't?

>Of course, it might be easier on us impatient
>users if we could know when that would be... ;-)

Not really.  You would still have to wait just as long.

--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg@ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg