[comp.lang.c++] 2nd Editions of C++ Books?

marti@mint.inf.ethz.ch (Robert Marti) (02/22/91)

In a recent ad by Addison Wesley, the following two titles caught my eye:
- The C++ Language, 2nd Edition, B. Stroustrup
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
- The C++ Primer, 2nd Edition, S. Lippman
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^

My questions are:
- How do these books differ from the 1st edition?
  (I assume that Bjarne's book now covers C++ Release 2.0 or
   higher instead of Release 1.2.  What about the Primer by
   Lippman?)
- Have these books hit the stores in the US?  If not, when will
  they be available?

Thanks for any info.
--
Robert Marti                      |  Phone:    +41 1 254 72 60
Institut fur Informationssysteme  |  FAX:      +41 1 262 39 73

micki@napalm.valid.com (Micki Stone) (03/05/91)

marti@mint.inf.ethz.ch (Robert Marti) writes:
>In a recent ad by Addison Wesley, the following two titles caught my eye:
>- The C++ Language, 2nd Edition, B. Stroustrup
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>- Have these books hit the stores in the US?  If not, when will
>  they be available?

I have seen this book in the book stores for some time now.

Michelle

bs@alice.att.com (Bjarne Stroustrup) (03/05/91)

marti@mint.inf.ethz.ch (Robert Marti) writes:

 > >In a recent ad by Addison Wesley, the following two titles caught my eye:
 > >- The C++ Language, 2nd Edition, B. Stroustrup
 > >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
 > >- Have these books hit the stores in the US?  If not, when will
 > >  they be available?
 >
 > I have seen this book in the book stores for some time now.

Hmmm. Maybe I should buy a copy; it would help me a lot with the two
chapters I have yet to write :-) Seriously though, It will still be
some months. You may be thinking of

	Ellis and Stroustrup: The Annotated Reference Manual
	Addison-Wesley, 1991.

commonly called `the ARM.' That book differes from ``The C++ Programming
Language'' in having no material on how to program. The ARM focusses on
the definition of C++.