[comp.lang.c++] How is Sun C++ ??

esink@turia.dit.upm.es (Eric Wayne Sink) (02/18/91)

I'm soliciting comments on Sun C++.  I've heard some lousy things about it,
but have no experience myself.  Any comments as to the reliability
and so on ?

Eric W. Sink                     | Putting the phrase      |All opinions
Departamento de Telematica       | "Frequently Asked"      |are mine and
Universidad Politecnica de Madrid| in your kill file is    |not necessarily
esink@turia.dit.upm.es           | not recommended.        |yours.

gwu@nujoizey.tcs.com (George Wu) (02/20/91)

-
     Sun C++ is essentially AT&T's Cfront, although with some changes by
Sun, I'm sure.  My primary complaints about Sun C++ are compile speed and
debugging.  As a translator, Sun C++ (and all other translators) are
abhorrently slow.  The version of dbx Sun has modified to debug C++ code is
not completeley debugged.  The occasional problems with this version of dbx,
dbx++ as I've taken to calling it, are annoying in the most irritating ways.

							George

----
George J Wu, Software Engineer        | gwu@tcs.com or uunet!tcs!gwu
Teknekron Communications Systems, Inc.| (415) 649-3752
2121 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA, 94704 | Quit reading news.  Get back to work.

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (03/03/91)

In article <1803@tcs.tcs.com> gwu@nujoizey.tcs.com (George Wu) writes:
>-
>     Sun C++ is essentially AT&T's Cfront, although with some changes by
>Sun, I'm sure.  My primary complaints about Sun C++ are compile speed and
>debugging...

Another minor annoyance for users of Sun C++ is that the `CC' command is
implemented as a compiled program (supplied as binary only) rather than
as the shell script (in source form) which usually comes with cfront ports.

This means that if you want to get in and hack your own local tricks into
the CC script... well, you can't with Sun C++.

--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg@ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg

torda@igc.ethz.ch (Andrew Torda ) (03/04/91)

In article <4190@lupine.NCD.COM>, rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:

> Another minor annoyance for users of Sun C++ is that the `CC' command is
> implemented as a compiled program (supplied as binary only) rather than
> as the shell script (in source form) which usually comes with cfront ports.

No. This is just not true. There is a script. It starts like ...
-------------------
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/lang:/bin:/usr/bin
# @(#)CC-driver 1.19 (Sun) 89/07/21
--------------------
and so on...

> This means that if you want to get in and hack your own local tricks into
> the CC script... well, you can't with Sun C++.

Yes you can.
I have swapped C compilers, played with options, paths etc...

I am ready to be corrected if there is a newer/different version, but check
the ID at the top of the script I included.
--
Andrew Torda, ETH, Zurich

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (03/04/91)

In article <4190@lupine.NCD.COM>, rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:

> Another minor annoyance for users of Sun C++ is that the `CC' command is
> implemented as a compiled program (supplied as binary only) rather than
> as the shell script (in source form) which usually comes with cfront ports.

What version do you have?  The version we have is a shell script, but
I am not sure if we are current or not:

$ /usr/CC/sun4/CC -v
Sun C++ 2.0 FCS  -  10/20/89

$ head -3 /usr/CC/sun4/CC
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
# @(#)CC-driver 1.19 (Sun) 89/07/21
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison

mlm@cs.brown.edu (Moises Lejter) (03/08/91)

	Sun CC+ 2.1 (or at least the beta version we have) does indeed
	have a compiled binary file for CC, instead of the good old
	shell script.

	It is still possible, though a bit of a pain, to add local
	hacks to its standard behavior.  The problem is that it must
	be done by replacing the "normal" versions of ccom and ld that
	it expects to see.  (It has an option -qpath that tells it
	where to look for the different compile passes - just tell it
	to look somewhere else...)

	I don't know whether they plan to release it as a binary, or
	if so whether they plan to release sources to it, too.

							Moises
Internet/CSnet:   mlm@cs.brown.edu		BITNET:  mlm@browncs.BITNET
UUCP:    ...!uunet!cs.brown.edu!mlm		Phone:	 (401)863-7664
USmail:  Moises Lejter, Box 1910 Brown University, Providence RI 02912