[net.sf-lovers] film festival

mclure@SRI-Unix (04/09/83)

Date: Fri Apr  8 1983 02:19:05-PST
From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@LBL-CSAM.ARPA>
Subject: FILM FESTIVAL!!!
To: SF-LOVERS@SRI-CSL.ARPA
Cc: SF-LOVERS-REQUEST@SRI-CSL.ARPA, mclure@sri-unix.ARPA

*** FILM FESTIVAL *** FILM FESTIVAL *** FILM FESTIVAL *** FILM FESTIVAL ***

Greetings.  I'm pleased to announce that it's time, once again, for
yet another FILM FESTIVAL!

As you may recall, the previous festivals with which I've been
associated have ranged through subject matter from "The Twilight Zone"
to "Jay Ward" (Rocky and Bullwinkle, etc.)

This time, through the kind auspices and sponsorship of the Rand
Corporation Science Fiction Club, I am very pleased to announce
a new theme:

      ***** Fantasy and Science Fiction "Cult" Films *****

Three FULL-LENGTH feature films are scheduled:

1) The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T.  (1953, Color)

   The bizarre study of a boy (Tommy Rettig of "Lassie" fame) who
   imagines being imprisoned by his evil piano teacher (Hans Conried)
   in the monstrous "Terwilliker Institute".  The screenplay for this
   film was written by Ted Geisel (the famous "Dr. Seuss"), and the film
   itself was decades ahead of its time.

   This incredibly bizarre "fantasy" film is a "must-see" for
   all fantasy/SF enthusiasts.  A cult classic indeed -- and one
   of my all time favorite movies.

2) Plan 9 From Outer Space  (1956)

   The classic "turkey" SF film of all time, in all its uncut glory.
   An excellent entertainment value.  See the aliens call the earthmen
   "idiots" and accuse them of having "stupid minds"!  Marvel to
   flying saucers that actually swing back and forth at the end
   of strings!  The legends of this film (which even includes a brief
   appearance by Bela Lugosi -- his last film appearance before
   his death) have spread around the world; it is simply *SO* bad
   that it is totally hilarious.  This film is getting increasingly
   difficult to obtain since it is always in demand!

3) Little Shop of Horrors  (1960)

   This film was shot by Roger Corman on a two day shooting schedule
   and a miniscule budget.  It now enjoys an immense cult following,
   and is even being produced as a play here in the L.A. area!  The
   story revolves around a young man who grows a rather "hungry" plant.
   You can tell it's hungry, because it yells things like,
   "FEED ME!!!!!!  I WANT FOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!"  Jack Nicholson is one
   of the stars -- he plays a masochist who goes to the dentist just
   to enjoy the pain!  Needless to say, the film is basically a very
   dark horror/comedy piece.  Another must-see cult favorite.

The festival is scheduled for next Friday, April 15, starting at
7:00 PM.  (Sorry about the short notice; these films are difficult
to obtain.)

Unlike the previous festivals which I've held at UCLA, this festival
will be held in the Main Conference Room at the Rand Corporation.
(Rand is located at 1700 Main Street in Santa Monica, right next
to the Santa Monica Pier (to Rand's northwest) and across the street
from Santa Monica City Hall and the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

Seating for non-Rand persons at the festival is somewhat limited,
and it is necessary for me to generate a list of those persons
from the Arpanet community who plan to attend.  Therefore, it is
*VERY* important that you R.S.V.P. to me (via network mail)
immediately (or as SOON as possible) if you plan to attend.
Please be sure to tell me your "real" name if it isn't obvious from
your message.  Also, if you plan to bring a close friend or spouse,
please be sure to tell me *their* name as well so that my list will
be complete.

Persons *not* on my attendees list may find themselves unable to
attend the film screenings!!!

This film festival is FREE: there will be no charge for admission.
However, these films will be costing a private individual about
$130 to rent, so voluntary donations to help offset this cost
will be gratefully accepted.  If we are unable to break even,
future film festivals will be in serious doubt.  Please note
that unlike the UCLA festivals where parking was $2.00, parking
at Rand is free.

You should enter Rand through the EAST lobby (the main entrance close
by the flagpole near the top of the circular driveway.)  The guards
will have a copy of the attendees list -- tell them that you're there
for the "film screenings".

That's about it.  I hope to see some of you next Friday at this
"gala" event!  It promises to be an "unusual" evening's worth
of entertainment!

===>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<===
===>>>    BE SURE TO R.S.V.P. TO ME IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND!    <<<===
===>>> I NEED THE NAMES OF ALL NON-RAND ATTENDEES IN ADVANCE! <<<===

Please send all mail regarding these
films to me via:

vortex!lauren@LBL-CSAM				------------
       or					Thanks much!
  Lauren@RAND-UNIX				------------

* 5000 Fingers of Dr. T. * Plan 9 From Outer Space * Little Shop of Horrors *

--Lauren--