[comp.lang.c++] Problem compiling Borland C++ Todolist example

skrbec@motcid.UUCP (Brad Skrbec) (04/19/91)

I've been trying to compile the todo list windowing example
that comes with the Borland C++ compiler, without much luck.

The PC I'm compiling on is an AT compatible with 640K memory,
and 1 Meg of extended memory.  The hard disk has about 7 or 8 meg
of space for swapping.

When I "make" the project list, in BC, I get the message
"Fatal Error: Out of memory" and the compiler craps out in the
tododlgs.h file while compiling todolist.cpp.

I've tried a few different things to get it to work, without any luck.
	1. I trimmed out any and all unnecessary drivers loaded at boot time,
		I got it down to just a path with Borlandc\bin in it and 10
		buffers.

	2. For speed, I tried to use the /x option for extended memory swapping,
		but this seems counterproductive, since I have a lot more disk space
		available than I do memory.  It is a little faster, I guess.

Now my questions are:
	How do I make the compiler use my extended memory for something other
	than swapping?

	If the compiler will only use 640k for compiling (the rest for swapping)
	how is it possible to compile the todolist example at all?

	Would it be more effective to use the command line compiler to
	compile this?  That way, less memory used up for the desktop overhead.
	If so, how does one "make" a project file from the command line compiler?
	I can't seem to find anything about this in the manuals.

I'm a new C++ user, so be gentle :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!

| Brad Skrbec                | "For it is the doom of men that they forget." |
| Motorola Cellular          |                             -- Merlin         |
| Arlington Heights, IL      | UUCP: uunet!motcid!skrbec                     |
|                            | Internet: motcid!skrbec@uunet.uu.net          |

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (04/22/91)

<
<The PC I'm compiling on is an AT compatible with 640K memory,
<and 1 Meg of extended memory.  The hard disk has about 7 or 8 meg
<of space for swapping.

Peachy.  More than enough to use BCX instead of BC.

<	How do I make the compiler use my extended memory for something other
<	than swapping?

See above.

Also note that TCINST must be run once each for BC.EXE and BCX.EXE.

--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

jim@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim (James) Ruehlin) (04/25/91)

In article <4964@melon5.UUCP> skrbec@motcid.UUCP (Brad Skrbec) writes:
>The PC I'm compiling on is an AT compatible with 640K memory,
>and 1 Meg of extended memory.  The hard disk has about 7 or 8 meg
>of space for swapping.
>
>When I "make" the project list, in BC, I get the message
>"Fatal Error: Out of memory" and the compiler craps out in the
>tododlgs.h file while compiling todolist.cpp.
>
>I'm a new C++ user, so be gentle :-)

It sounds like you're using BC instead of BCX.  BCX is just like BC,
except that it's uses extended memory for compiling, not just caching.
I got the same message as you at first, before I realized that I
needed to use BCX on my 4MB machine.  I now allocate it a mere 600k
in my Windows PIF file, and I have hundreds of K left over as
each module compiles.

I too found almost nothing in the manuals that pointed this out.  There
was one reference to it, and I forgot what manual it was in.

Good luck!

- Jim Ruehlin