[comp.lang.c++] How To Implement Run-Time Creation of New Classes

dannies@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (05/07/91)

In an article entitled "Implementation Benefits of C++ Language Mechanisms"
by David Jordan (Communications of the ACM, Vol. 33, No. 9, September, 1990,
pp. 61-64), the auther states that
	"... no generally available C++ environment yet supports the run-time
	 creation and integration of new types into running processes, though
	 this is possible and has been done. ..."

Could anybody provide me some examples (code fragments would be great) or list
of books and/or articles on this issue? (The article by David Jordan does not
give any references)

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

kc@cbnewsl.att.com (keith.coulson) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.213804.542@vax1.mankato.msus.edu>, dannies@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
> In an article entitled "Implementation Benefits of C++ Language Mechanisms"
> by David Jordan (Communications of the ACM, Vol. 33, No. 9, September, 1990,
> pp. 61-64), the auther states that
> 	"... no generally available C++ environment yet supports the run-time
> 	 creation and integration of new types into running processes, though
> 	 this is possible and has been done. ..."
>
> Could anybody provide me some examples (code fragments would be great) or list
> of books and/or articles on this issue? (The article by David Jordan does not
> give any references)
>
> Any information will be greatly appreciated.

There is an article in the 1990 USENIX C++ Conference proceedings
entitled "Adding New Code to a Running C++ Program" by Sean M. Dorward,
Ravi Sethi and Jonathan E. Shopiro which has what you want.

Keith Coulson
UNIX System Laboratories