[comp.lang.c++] C++ for the Butterfly TC2000

drich@klaatu.lanl.gov (David O. Rich) (05/13/91)

I tried to send the following direct, but it bounced so here's a
posting... (This is in response to Tim McBrayer's earlier posting
asking about C++ for the TC2000...)

To: tmcbraye@hagar.ece.uc.edu (Tim McBrayer)
Subject: C++ for the BBN Butterfly?

As I understand it, BBN has a compiler that is derived from the Green
Hills C++ compiler for BBN's TC2000 (we are TC2000 customers, by the
way).  Here's an excerpt from a couple of messages from BBN:

>Dave,
>
>Yes, we are planning to release a C++ product in the near future. The
>current plan is to release it in the February-March 1991 time frame. The
>expected list price will be $10,000...
>
>You would be interested to know that you've been using it, indirectly,
>for several months now! Our development tool, TotalView, is written in
>C++. So it's been shaken down quite a bit and should be pretty solid
>when released.

...And...

>TC2000 C++ is derived from the Green Hills C++ compiler; it is a full
>compiler, not a preprocessor. Parallel programming is done using the
>Uniform System library, just as is done under TC2000 C. We have not yet
>finalized beta plans for C++, but will keep you informed as to our plans.

Also, a guy I know out at Rockwell is trying to port GNU-g++ to the
TC2000 although I'm not sure how much success he is having... His last
message was this:

>Hi Dave,
>
>How are you doing?  I heard that the C++ is out for beta sites.  Is Los Alamos
>a beta site?  We are having troubles porting g++.

I can give you contact points at BBN or Rockwell if you're interested.

David Rich (dor@lanl.gov)