[comp.lang.c++] Info Needed: Zortech C++ for Macintosh

jim@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim (James) Ruehlin) (06/04/91)

For anyone who'se bought Zortech C++ for the Mac, could you tell me how
you like it?  Any problems/bugs?  How is setup?  Is there any problem
compiling for DA's or code resources?

Thanks!

- Jim Ruehlin

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (06/06/91)

jim@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim (James) Ruehlin) writes:

>For anyone who'se bought Zortech C++ for the Mac, could you tell me how
>you like it?  Any problems/bugs?  How is setup?  Is there any problem
>compiling for DA's or code resources?

     Here's a summary of the major problems:

	- Compiler crashes on some valid programs, sometimes crashing machine.
  	  Most crashes are in the global optimizer.
	- Incorrect code generated in several cases.
	- INLINE unimplemented
	- M68020/030 support unimplemented.
	- Floating point coprocessor support unimplemented.
	- MPW shipped with compiler is pre-release MPW 3.2 and incomplete.
	- Manual is big but says little about the Mac implementation and
	  is basically a revision of the Zortech PC compiler manuals.

If you disable the global optimizer, (-O none), it's possible to get work done.
When the optimizer doesn't crash, it does a good job.  This product has
potential but really needed more testing before it shipped.

      I look forward to the next release.

      If you have this compiler, send Zortech bug reports.  They react
to bug reports, but seem to be weak on internal testing capability.

					John Nagle

jim@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim (James) Ruehlin) (06/07/91)

In article <25239@well.sf.ca.us> nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:

>     Here's a summary of the major problems:
>
>	- Compiler crashes on some valid programs, sometimes crashing machine.
>  	  Most crashes are in the global optimizer.
>	- Incorrect code generated in several cases.
>	- INLINE unimplemented
>	- M68020/030 support unimplemented.
>	- Floating point coprocessor support unimplemented.
>	- MPW shipped with compiler is pre-release MPW 3.2 and incomplete.
>	- Manual is big but says little about the Mac implementation and
>	  is basically a revision of the Zortech PC compiler manuals.

Yeesh.  Why do companies release beta versions?  It looks like this
is nearly unusable.

Thanks for the report.  If you have time, could you check to see if
you can compile code resources using Zortec?  As I understand it, you
can't with the C++ that Apple has put out.

Thanks -
- Jim Ruehlin

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (06/10/91)

jim@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim (James) Ruehlin) writes:

>Thanks for the report.  If you have time, could you check to see if
>you can compile code resources using Zortec?  As I understand it, you
>can't with the C++ that Apple has put out.

     The Commando dialog for creating Zortech C++ makefiles will
create a makefile for an application, a MPW tool, a desk accessory,
a code resource, or a Simple Input/Output Window application.  I've
successfully built applications and MPW tools, but haven't tried the
others.  The manual is silent on the subject.

					John Nagle