[comp.lang.c] Order of evaluation and optimizing code

guido@mcvax.uucp (Guido van Rossum) (11/10/86)

In article <7307@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>There have actually been remarkably few non-standard additions to C by
>compiler writers -- a considerable tribute to Dennis's skill at devising
>a language that lets you do what you want.

I don't want to comment on Dennis's skills, but for microcomputer C
compilers (as opposed to Unix compilers) I have noted remarkably many
non-standard additions (not to mention omissions of standard features):
pascal extern declarations, far and near pointers, floating types
extended and comp, comments strting with // and extending to line end...
I've even had a beta test copy of a compiler that implemented nested
function declarations like in Pascal.
--
	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido@mcvax.uucp>