[comp.lang.c] draft ANSI standard: Is a quote a valid preprocessor-token?

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/02/87)

In article <1971@emory.UUCP>, arnold@emory.UUCP writes:
> #define CTRL(X)	(' ## X ## ' & 037)	/* ascii only */
>    ...uses the token concatenation operator to produce the character
> constant....
> I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I thought he was wrong, but I looked again at the standard.  I didn't
believe that a single quote would be considered a preprocessing token;
I figured it would parse as

	#define CTRL(X)	(string & 037)
	where string is: ' ## X ## '

(Of course multiple character '...' constants are legal in the draft
proposed standard, but let's not get off the track...)  The definition
of preprocessor-token is (pg 74, sec 3.8):

	preprocessing-token:
		header-name	 (only within a #include directive)
		identifier
		constant
		string-literal
		operator
		punctuator
		each non-white-space character that cannot be one of the above

Aha!  Since a lone quote is not any of the above, it must be one of those
"each non white space characters", and it must be a preprocessing-token.
Right?

Phooey.  There should be specific instructions in the standard on
lexical analysis of C programs, e.g. an algorithm for parsing, rather
than this vague English rubbish.  This applies to section 2.1.1.2
("The source file is decomposed into preprocessing tokens...") too.
I can see my source files slowly decomposing in there now...
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
  I forsee a day when there are two kinds of C compilers: standard ones and

decot@hpisod2.HP (Dave Decot) (01/11/87)

> In article <1971@emory.UUCP>, arnold@emory.UUCP writes:
> > #define CTRL(X)	(' ## X ## ' & 037)	/* ascii only */
> >    ...uses the token concatenation operator to produce the character
> > constant....
> > I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
>
> 	preprocessing-token:
> 		header-name	 (only within a #include directive)
> 		identifier
> 		constant
> 		string-literal
> 		operator
> 		punctuator
> 		each non-white-space character that cannot be one of the above
>
> Aha!  Since a lone quote is not any of the above, it must be one of those
> "each non white space characters", and it must be a preprocessing-token.
> Right?

' ## X ## ' comes under the heading of "constant".

> Phooey.  There should be specific instructions in the standard on
> lexical analysis of C programs, e.g. an algorithm for parsing, rather
> than this vague English rubbish.

I agree.  It is possible to accurately describe anything in English.
It is not always possible to accurately describe things in vague English.

Dave Decot
hpda!decot