[comp.lang.c] RMS form feed

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (01/12/87)

> Whatever that means ...

It doesn't have to mean anything!  What do FS, GS, RS, and US mean?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

In article <1901@sunybcs.UUCP>, colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
> > Whatever that means ...
>
> It doesn't have to mean anything!  What do FS, GS, RS, and US mean?

	File Separator, Group Separator, Record Separator and Unit Separator.
And I once wrote an ACK/NAK polling protocol which used the above control
characters literally.
	Makes sense to me...

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|bbncca|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

ricker@bunker.UUCP (ricker) (01/22/87)

In article <1901@sunybcs.UUCP> colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>> Whatever that means ...
>It doesn't have to mean anything!  What do FS, GS, RS, and US mean?
>--
>Col. G. L. Sicherman
>UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel
>CS: colonel@buffalo-cs

Those are ANSI/ISO-defined control sequences. ISO 646 reads as follows:

FS - File Separator - delimits a data item called a file.
GS - Group Separator - delimits a data item called a group.
RS - Record Separator - delimits a data item called a record.
US - Unit Separator - delimits a data item called a unit.

"A control character used to separate and qualify data logically;
its specific meaning has to be defined for each application. If [the]
character is used in hierarchical order as specified in the general
definition of IS, it delimits a data item called a {file,group,record,unit}."

Buffalo Soldier