[comp.lang.c] Legal re-arrangement rules.

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/23/87)

In article <4700008@uiucdcsm>, mccaugh@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
[entire posting:]
> Do you have any idea how monotonously long your response is compared to
> practically every other response in this notesfile? Don't you ever stop
> to consider that perhaps others may be interested in reading your reponse
> besides your target? You really seem to enjoy listening to yourself, which
> is pathetic because you come across as someone knowledgeable about compil-
> ation who deserves more of an audience, if you just took the trouble to edit
> your commentary.

You have not identified yourself, and have not identified who you are
talking about in such an obnoxious manner, but from the subject and the
reference I figure it's probably me.

I did consider that the message would be of some general interest, which
is why I posted it to news instead of sending it directly to the
original poster.

I may have gone on a little, but this is because I have seen much evidence
of confusion about this topic, and I wanted to clear it up. If the article
in question is the one I think it is ( no longer available here ), you may
be interested to know that I spent well over an hour writing and editing it.

Most of the postings on this group are much shorter. Most of my postings
are much shorter. The point in question had been explained several times
in short postings, but several people still did not quite grasp what was
going on. In a short posting you must assume that the reader is missing
only a fact or two to understand the problem; I figured some background
information was appropriate in this case.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...