[comp.lang.c] Portable C vs Efficient C and macro processors

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (05/04/87)

In article <685@edge.UUCP>, doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>  The best assembler translator
> program that I've ever used was (cover your ears, kiddies, I'm gonna say a
> naughty word) the IBM 360/370 OS assembler.  Just about everything you'd
> ever want was in that assembler.  Not always in the nicest syntax, but at
> least it was there.  But that assembler is 25 years old now!

I concurr, the place I work at has a scaled down version of the 360
macro processor.  We use it to partly emulate various redundent operations
that just can't be done with the C pre-processor without a great deal
of gyrating.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

Kirk: "I don't care if you hit the broadside of a barn"
Spock: "Why should I aim at such an object?"