[comp.lang.c] SECOND CALL FOR CONTRIBUTORS TO MS-DOS PAPERS

mitch@well.UUCP (Mitchell Waite) (05/02/87)

MS-DOS PAPERS PROPOSAL - MAY 1, 1987 (LAST POSTING NOV 11, 1986)

The Waite Group, a San Francisco based computer book developer, is looking
for contributing authors for a new book on MS-DOS, titled MS-DOS PAPERS.
This is a second call for writers for MS-DOS PAPERS.

The MS-DOS PAPERS will be a collection of learning tutorials, much like
Waite Group's UNIX PAPERS (to be published June 1987). MS-DOS PAPERS will
provide insightful information on the MS-DOS operating system, revealing
the more hidden and obscure truths about MS-DOS in an interesting, easy to
read Waite Group format. It's contributed nature allows us to include
subjects that might not support a separate book, as well as subjects that
are on the cutting edge of MS-DOS technology. The audience level is
intermediate to advanced programmers, students, engineers, business people,
and anyone who wants the most up to date information about this popular
operating system. Examples are given in both MS-C 4.0 and MASM.

The book consists of TUTORIALS on topics that have never been adequately
discussed in the literature. These include inside BIOS, tips and
undocumented secrets, terminate and stay resident programming, advanced
MASM, debugging, new OS/2 features for MS-DOS programmers, and much more.

THE MS-DOS PAPERS OUTLINE

Follow is the current outline for the book. If you find any of these
appealing, let us know. We will send you a more detailed proposal, our
author terms letter and our style guide. If you have other suggestions for
topics we have missed you think are important, we'd like to hear them.

Mitchell Waite
Development Editor
BIX: mwaite
THE WELL: mitch
usenet: {lll-lcc, hplabs, glacier}!well!mitch

1.  UNDERSTANDING MS-DOS DEVICE DRIVERS
2.  WRITING DEVICE DRIVERS IN C
3.  SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS IN MICROSOFT C
4.  WRITING TSR PROGRAMS
5.  ADVANCED TSR PROGRAMS
6.  ENHANCING MS-DOS WITH ADD ON PACKAGES
7.  ADVANCED ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE USING MASM
8.  UNDOCUMENTED FEATURES OF MS-DOS
9.  EMS AND MS-DOS
10. DEVELOPING A UNIX SHELL FOR MS-DOS
11. DEVELOPERS GUIDE TO DOS 3.3
12. DEBUGGING MS-DOS
13. INSIDE THE CHOP SUEY ROMS
14. WRITING PROTECTED MODE PROGRAMS FOR THE 286
15. DEVELOPERS GUIDE TO OS/2
16. PROGRAMMING WITH MS-WINDOWS
17. MS-DOS COPY PROTECTION TECHNIQUES
18. INSIDE BIOS
19. MS-DOS and the EGA AND VGA
20. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MS-DOS - WHAT IS RIGHT WITH MS-DOS
21. SECURITY UNDER MS-DOS
22. NETWORKING MS-DOS
23. OS/2 AND MS-DOS

ABOUT THE WAITE GROUP

The Waite Group has produced over 80 computer titles over the last 10
years, and is known for its high quality titles on MS-DOS, C and UNIX.
Waite Group's notable MS-DOS titles includes: MS-DOS Bible, Discovering
MS-DOS, MS-DOS Developer's Guide, Understanding MS-DOS and Tricks of the
MS-DOS Masters.

                         The Waite Group, Inc.
                         3220 Sacramento Street
                         San Francisco CA 94115
                         (415) 929-7088

ddl@husc6.UUCP (Dan Lanciani) (05/03/87)

In article <2978@well.UUCP>, mitch@well.UUCP (Mitchell Waite) writes:

> MS-DOS PAPERS PROPOSAL - MAY 1, 1987 (LAST POSTING NOV 11, 1986)
>
> Follow is the current outline for the book. If you find any of these
> appealing, let us know. We will send you a more detailed proposal, our
> author terms letter and our style guide. If you have other suggestions for
> topics we have missed you think are important, we'd like to hear them.

	I responded to the "first" call and received no detailed proposal,
no author terms letter, and no style guide.  Instead I received a phone
call asking me to submit an outline and writing samples.  The enthusiastic
caller informed me that I could have the detailed proposal, author terms
letter, and style guide as soon as I sent the outline and writing samples.
Although it seemed a little strange to write an outline without the
detailed proposal, I sent the requested materials.  I have heard
nothing since, even though I have written again inquiring the Waite
Group's intentions.

					Dan Lanciani
					ddl@harvard.*

mitch@well.UUCP (Mitchell Waite) (05/17/87)

Don I am not sure who talked to you but we have not received any of the
materails you say you sent. We usually ask potential contributors to
tell us what subjects they are interested in from the posted list of
chapters. If the chapter isn't taken we send a detailed proposal. We also
ask for some indication that the contributor can indeed write about the
subject they are interested in. An outline or sample of writing is not
unusual for publishers to request and for writers to submit. I have not
received any email from you even though my name and uucp address are on
the initial posting, but perhaps it never got through? Lets talk by tele
phone or email and not bother the net with this.

ddl@husc6.UUCP (Dan Lanciani) (05/18/87)

In article <3080@well.UUCP>, mitch@well.UUCP (Mitchell Waite) writes:
> Don I am not sure who talked to you but we have not received any of the

That's "Dan"

> materails you say you sent. We usually ask potential contributors to

Interesting, then, that someone claiming to represent you called
and was able to mention the subject that I had described in my letter.
In any case, it seems strange to refuse to send the proposal before
receiving the outline.  (Yes, I did ask specifically.)

> tell us what subjects they are interested in from the posted list of
> chapters. If the chapter isn't taken we send a detailed proposal. We also

This is what your initial posting indicated and that is what I did.
My letter indicated the subject in which I was interested.  However,
instead of a detailed proposal, I received the aforementioned phone call.

> ask for some indication that the contributor can indeed write about the
> subject they are interested in. An outline or sample of writing is not
> unusual for publishers to request and for writers to submit. I have not
> received any email from you even though my name and uucp address are on

My initial letter, the requested materials (outline and sample writing),
and a final letter of inquiry were sent by real, paper, U. S. mail,
not by email.  Since none of them were returned, I have some reason
to believe they reached their destination.

> the initial posting, but perhaps it never got through? Lets talk by tele
> phone or email and not bother the net with this.

My posting was not an attempt to communicate with you, but was intended
for the general readership.  Your response, on the other hand, could
have been sent by electronic mail.  (My email address is also available
from my postings.)  Moreover, my U. S. mail address is available from
the letters I sent to you.  I must assume that the latter was readable since
someone was able to use it to obtain my phone number.

					Dan Lanciani
					J8ska
Ar
Ar