[comp.lang.c] Good C Manual?

aniekan@wasat.usc.edu.UUCP (05/29/87)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a C programming book that
is both easy-to-read and technically sound?  If you do, please
send me the authors name and title.

thanks,
Aniekan.

PS:  I already know about Kernighan and Pike, I don't think it's
     easy-enough-to-read, at least for the "new" programmer.

In article <2402@wasat.usc.edu> aniekan@wasat.usc.edu () writes:
>PS:  I already know about Kernighan and Pike, I don't think it's
>     easy-enough-to-read, at least for the "new" programmer.

Kernighan & Pike's "The UNIX Programming Environment" is intended
to assist in exploiting the UNIX environment, not to learn C.

Kernighan & Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" is still the
best introductory C textbook in my opinion, although many people
prefer Harbison & Steele's "C: A Reference Manual".  Plum Hall
publishes some good intermediate-level texts worth having; you
generally have to get them from Plum Hall, 1 Spruce Av., Cardiff NJ
since most large bookstores don't stock them (unlike the other books
I mentioned).  There are lots of mass-market books purporting to
teach C for small computers; most of the ones I've seen are pretty bad.