[comp.lang.c] C Beginner

7GMADISO%POMONA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (06/11/87)

Greetings.  I am new to Info-C, as I am to the language itself.  I am still
in the process of feeling my way around the language, as I have only written
one 'real' program in C so far, a sort of search-and-replace program.

My first question is, are there any books that are particularly good for
a beginner??  I have K&R as a reference, but a tutorial for the novice it
most emphatically is NOT.

My second question is, are there any archives of C source code accessible
from BITnet that I could obtain samples from for study??

And my last question is, does anyone have ideas for little'do nothing'
programs that I can tackle as challenges to force me to learn the
language?  I have a fairly large project in mind for the future, but
trying it now would be extremely frustrating and a waste of time, I am
sure.

In case it is of interest, I am using Pro-MC from Misosys with the Pro-MRAS
Assembly Compiler on a 128k Tandy Model 4P.

                      AtDhVaAnNkCsE,

                    ---- George Madison

--------------------
'Your logic is impeccable, Captain; we are in grave danger.'
--------------------
BITNET: 7gmadiso@pomona
UUCP:   psuvax1!pomona.bitnet!7gmadiso
ARPA:   7gmadiso%pomona@wiscvm.wisc.edu

mlinar@poisson.usc.edu.UUCP (06/11/87)

In article <7808@brl-adm.ARPA> 7GMADISO%POMONA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:

>Greetings.  I am new to Info-C, as I am to the language itself.  I am still
>in the process of feeling my way around the language, as I have only written
>one 'real' program in C so far, a sort of search-and-replace program.
>
>My first question is, are there any books that are particularly good for
>a beginner??  I have K&R as a reference, but a tutorial for the novice it
>most emphatically is NOT.

As far as a "generic" C learning book, I have read MANY as part of a part-time
consulting job.  Interesting enough, the best book I have come across is the
Mix C manual which is somewhat intimidating since it is about the size of
a phone book.  However, there is a thorough presentation of the language as
well as an example about every other page.

Overall, it is the best learning manual yet.  (After learning C, you will
no longer need the book as it is difficult to find everything.  The Mix C
compiler is sold out of someplace in Texas; BYTE carries ads, I think.
The compiler is AWFUL, but the book is great and worth the $40+ even without
the program.)

-Mitch

jon@mdbs.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <7808@brl-adm.ARPA> 7GMADISO%POMONA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:

>My first question is, are there any books that are particularly good for
>a beginner??  I have K&R as a reference, but a tutorial for the novice it
>most emphatically is NOT.

_The C Primer_, by Les Hancock and Morris Krieger, is an excellent introductory
text.  I had a lot of trouble learning C until I came across this book.  Then
suddenly everything clicked!

It's published by McGraw-Hill (ISBN 0-07-025981-X, if you're looking for it
in a bookstore).

Jon Reid	      ...!{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax,rutgers}!pur-ee!mdbs!jon
Micro Data Base Systems, Inc.
PO Box 248 Lafayette, In.  47902	["Your plan worked, Muad'Dib!"]

jec@nesac2.UUCP (06/14/87)

I'm posting a reply, since the mailer barfed.

> And my last question is, does anyone have ideas for little'do nothing'
> programs that I can tackle as challenges to force me to learn the
> language?  I have a fairly large project in mind for the future, but
> trying it now would be extremely frustrating and a waste of time, I am
> sure.

A programming project for a (slightly more than) C beginner.

Given - a 250K file of Pascal functions, each of which is preceeded
by a one line comment of the form below.
{ FunctionName - description }
 ^                          ^
One space at each end of comment, comment starts at left margin, most
names start with an uppercase letter, and may be composed of almost any
combination of upper and lower case letters.  Other (internal) comments
may start at the left margin, but will begin with "{'" (single quote)
or "{  " (two spaces)

Requirement - create a program to take the source file name from the
command line, and do the following: Read the source file, recognizing
the { Name } construct, ignoring any comments that are of the form
{'anything'} or of the form {  anything } (two spaces after '{'),
and ignoring comments that do not start at the left margin.
Create a file of the same name as the function name, but limited to
eight characters, and with the extension of ".pas".  Recognize if
two functions have the same name, and change the second name to
avoid overwriting the previous name.  Stop after 'maximum directory
entries -1' files and prompt for the destination disk to be replaced
with another blank disk. If using disks with less than 360K space,
also check for amount of space used on the disk and prompt if another
disk is needed.  This check can be made without accessing the DOS
functions to read the file size from the directory.

My version works on an MSDOS machine, write yours for your machine.
If you want a copy of my version (hardcopy) write me at the address
that news SHOULD include below.

This is a real task that I had to do this week, since the available
editor on the PC couldn't handle a 250K+ file.

Have fun

--

John Carter
AT&T Communications - Atlanta RWC