[comp.lang.c] ANSI stdargs vs. UNIX varargs

henry@delftcc.UUCP (Henry Rabinowitz) (06/26/87)

ANSI stdargs is supposed to be based on UNIX varargs, but ANSI version
seems to require at least one fixed argument, if I read the spec correctly.
Why is this an improvement?
On what grounds does ANSI stdargs choose to break the existing varargs
code, or is there an easy way to move from varargs to stdarg.

In article <164@delftcc.UUCP> henry@delftcc.UUCP (Henry Rabinowitz) writes:
>ANSI stdargs is supposed to be based on UNIX varargs, but ANSI version
>seems to require at least one fixed argument, if I read the spec correctly.
>Why is this an improvement?
>On what grounds does ANSI stdargs choose to break the existing varargs
>code, or is there an easy way to move from varargs to stdarg.

Read the X3.159-198x Rationale document for answers to questions like this.
Be assured that if <varargs.h> had been suitable for the standard, it would
have been adopted.  Unfortunately it doesn't work for some architectures,
according to representations made by some X3J11 committee members.