[comp.lang.c] DEC phone support

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (06/26/87)

In article <816@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
+In article <7614@brl-adm.ARPA>, ADLER1%BRANDEIS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:
+> The logical thing would be to contact DEC and ask for help. However,
+> users are not entitled to call up the toll-free numbers that DEC
+> provides for user support and [...]
+
+You've got to be kidding.  You mean DEC doesn't listen when users call
+the user support number?!  I mean, I'm not terribly fond of DEC either,
+but this is ridiculous.

If you pay for the support you can call up and get your questions answered.
You get an "access number" when you pay up.  They won't talk to you w/o the
magic number password.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) (07/03/87)

In article <14063@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (Michael Khaw) writes:
>If you pay for the support you can call up and get your questions answered.
>You get an "access number" when you pay up.  They won't talk to you w/o the
>magic number password.

That's true, as long as you're one of the three designated people at
your site who are registered.  DEC Support won't talk to anyone else.
At our site the operations group has one name registered, and our
support group needs one, leaving one name for the poor product developers.
We have about 15 developers in our VAX group but only one of them is
officially allowed to talk to DIGITAL support.  Needless to say, this
is an annoyance at the very least.

I've heard that there are an extraordinary number of designates named
Mickey Mouse registered with phone-in support.  Who's calling? Mickey
Mouse (:^). It's seemingly become the accepted anonymous designated
caller.

--

Jim Patterson          decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!jimp
Cognos Incorporated

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (07/05/87)

in article <1050@aldebaran.UUCP>, jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) says:

[mentions that DEC phone support only recognizes 3 "designated names" ]

> I've heard that there are an extraordinary number of designates named
> Mickey Mouse registered with phone-in support.  Who's calling? Mickey
> Mouse (:^). It's seemingly become the accepted anonymous designated
> caller.

Yes, but what happens when (as is typical) all the support people are busy and
they have to call back?  How do you tell which Mickey Mouse in your organization
called them?	B^)

Mike Khaw
--

jon@mdbs.UUCP (07/08/87)

In article <14344@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA
(Michael Khaw) writes:
>in article <1050@aldebaran.UUCP>, jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) says:
>>
>>[mentions that DEC phone support only recognizes 3 "designated names" ]
>> I've heard that there are . . . a number of designates named Mickey Mouse ...
>
>Yes, but what happens when . . . all the support people are busy and
>they have to call back?  How do you tell which Mickey Mouse in your
>organization called them?

In our company we have one person who is the official DEC Support "contact";
if I have a problem I describe it to him and he calls it in (he knows the
magic numbers they want and all that).  He tells DEC Support to ask for me
(my unregistered, for-real name) when they call back (they *always* call back),
and we've had no problems.