[comp.lang.c] Curses quirk

jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa (07/06/87)

  I am writing something that uses curses (ultrix on vax 8600).
The code I am writing calls a function that returns a string
and then calls curses to put this on the screen  I am only using
stdscr and curscr, no intricate windows etc. Addstr() gave
me garbage ( it only printed the first letter of the string
 returned by the function). Printw()
worked fine.  Why??

                                    Jerry Freedman
                                    jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa

root@turnkey.UUCP (The Super User) (07/10/87)

In article <8180@brl-adm.ARPA>, jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa writes:

>   I am writing something that uses curses (ultrix on vax 8600).
> The code I am writing calls a function that returns a string
> and then calls curses to put this on the screen  I am only using
> stdscr and curscr, no intricate windows etc. Addstr() gave
> me garbage ( it only printed the first letter of the string
>  returned by the function). Printw()
> worked fine.  Why??

This is very odd since both addstr() and printw() make use of the common
function addch(). I have worked with both these functions (under Xenix)
and have not noticed any problem. Could there be any peculiarity of the
string your function returns that might cause addstr() a problem but
which the formatting of printw() gets around? Why don't you give a bit
more detail of the code which may shed some light on things. I would be
interested in hearing about it since I have had my share of head-scratching
with curses code as well.

Best regards,
Jack Vogel, Turnkey Computer Consultants
--
uucp: ...seismo!uunet!ccicpg!turnkey!root