[comp.lang.c] Vax arithmetic

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/16/87)

In article <6706@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
(William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>[ I thought you mentioned that the 32 bit size was hardware supported.
>On many machines the short math is faster than long (ie. vax, 68000). ]

On the Vax, the short math is exactly as fast (or as slow) as the
long, at least in register-to-register operations, according to an
ancient set of 780 `timings' that once appeared on the net.  The
4BSD compilers will not put `short' or `char' variables in registers,
and memory references are slower than register references; hence
32 bit arithmetic is often faster than 16 or 8 bit arithmetic on
a Vax.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris