[comp.lang.c] C license agreements

PEPRBV@cfaamp.bitnet (07/22/87)

From  the  Computer  Innovations   C86  license  agreement:  User
Programs  do not have to include  our Copyright  notices ...  and
are not subject to any usage restriction.

However,  the  Computer  Innovations  C86PLUS  license  agreement
requires that you put their copyright  in your program's  opening
screen, but forbids you to use their name to market your product,
i.e., don't mention them in your ads.

Now, what about a shareware  program  where the marketing  is the
opening screen of the program?   This both must and must not have
CI's copyright notice.

In article <8387@brl-adm.ARPA> PEPRBV@cfaamp.bitnet writes:
>Now, what about a shareware  program  where the marketing  is the
>opening screen of the program?   This both must and must not have
>CI's copyright notice.

I suppose that contradiction proves that you're not allowed to
distribute such software.  You really agreed to those terms??

Some applications really do need total control of all I/O activity
that occurs when they run, and spurious output (for example, printing
compiler vendor copyright notices) will break them.  I personally am
so irked at ANY run-time behavior that I did not put in my code that
I will not buy or use such compiler implementations, and I urge you
to adopt the same policy (and to let the vendors hear about it).

I think Ken & Dennis would have croaked anybody who tried to make
UNIX utilities print out identifying messages etc.