[comp.lang.c] Sun documentation

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/22/87)

In article <1499@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>... If you use your own macro packages to produce the doc
>then they (the macros) already exist, so there is no (non-politcol)
>reason that they can't be shipped with the troff source.

True.

>Nobody says you have to support the macro package.

I think experience tends to prove otherwise:  Some customers complain
about bugs in things released as `unsupported'.  This is no one's
fault but said customers'; these people make things harder for
everyone by tending to convince companies not to ship unsupported
tools.

(Moral:  If you get something that says `unsupported' and it does
not work, keep quiet. :-) )
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/24/87)

In article <7642@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> In article <1499@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> >... If you use your own macro packages to produce the doc
> >then they (the macros) already exist, so there is no (non-politcol)
> >reason that they can't be shipped with the troff source.

> True.

> >Nobody says you have to support the macro package.

> I think experience tends to prove otherwise:  Some customers complain
> about bugs in things released as `unsupported'.  This is no one's
> fault but said customers'; these people make things harder for
> everyone by tending to convince companies not to ship unsupported
> tools.

Guy was swift to jump on this via mail as well! I don't give up
that easy though :-)

Don't package it with the standard distribution, but make it available
as a seperate "Unsupported Program Offering" and charge a reasonable
amount of money for it to cover the media, distribution, etc. That way,
those of us who want this type of material will still have access to it,
with a clear understanding that "you pays your money & takes your chances".

This is essentially the idea behind the AT&T Toolchest (and boy do
they charge for distribution :-)

[If this discussion carries on it should migrate elsewhere]

--
Ollie for president: the tradition continues.