[comp.lang.c] ANSI and asm

karl@haddock.ISC.COM (Karl Heuer) (08/11/87)

In article <471@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>[someone else writes:]
>>My dpANS gives no such notion as a "strictly conforming compiler".  (strictly
>>conforming PROGRAM, yes).  It says:  "A conforming hosted implementation
>>shall accept any strictly conforming program.", and thus [an asm-extended
>>compiler] is not a "conforming hosted implementation".  I.e. not ANSI C.
>
>You're confusing "accepts a non-conforming program" with "doesn't accept
>a conforming program".  Or else you didn't include all the relevent facts in
>your article.

You've posted a followup to my article, in which the quoted portion was elided
for brevity.  If you check the original, you'll find that it was explicit.

The program   main(){asm("ret");}   means "invoke the user's function asm()
with a pointer to a certain string as argument".  An asm-extended compiler,
which applies a different meaning to this program, is therefore not ANSI.