[comp.lang.c] multiple-machine executables for Suns?

molly@killer.UUCP (Molly Fredericks) (08/16/87)

In article <288@nuchat.UUCP>, steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
> In article <12646@sol.hi.UUCP>, kurt@hi.UUCP (Kurt Zeilenga) writes:
> > But more seriously, if I was going to design an a.out format that could
> > "run" everywhere I would have the compilers, loaders, etc output a psuedo
> > code and then have the kernal interpet the code.  This will keep the
> > a.out small, but the will take FOREVER to execute.
>
> Has anyone done a simple stack machine that runs C programs
> reasonably well?
>
>                                Is there enough interrest out
> ther to justify the experiment?  Anyone want to help?

I recently posted in comp.lang.c looking for such a beasty.  I would be
willing to do some of the original work, such as writing a p-machine, but
I think that's about all I've got time for.  I haven't thought about the
time needed to handle the libraries and all because I wanted the code for
a compiler I'm working on ...

Is there anyone out that wants to do the loaders, assemblers, compilers
(no, I don't have time (or the sources) to handle a C compiler).  I'd
rather do a 2 address machine rather than a stack, especially since I don't
know what the performance of an interpretive stack machine versus an
interpretive normal :-) machine is like, but I suppose that all them pushes
and pops gotta cost ya somethin'.

Also, I cross-posted this into comp.lang.c.  It probably really belongs
in comp.compilers (or talk.bizzare), so would the next person please
remove the comp.unix.wizards group since I can't imagine how this got
here in the first place.

Molly
--
       Molly Fredericks       UUCP: { any place real }!ihnp4!killer!molly
    Disclaimer:  Neither me, nor my cat, had anything to do with any of this