[comp.lang.c] Cross Assemblers and Compilers

towslee@osupyr.UUCP (Jay A. Towslee) (08/14/87)

<>

I'm trying to locate a development system that meets the
following requirements:

a C compiler that runs under unix and generates Microsoft
	compatible 8086/8088/80x86 object code
an Assember that runs under unix and generates the same kind of code

(aim of the above is to allow the use of MASM and Microsoft C
on MS-DOS development machines)

or an entire solution consisting of the Assembler and Compiler
that runs both under unix and MS-DOS

One vendor I have heard mentioned was lattice, but I have heard
complaints that their C compiler isn't in the same league as Microsoft.

As if that weren't enough, I'd like for the cross development system
on the unix side to be fairly efficient in its use of system
resources.

I will do the usual summary to the net if I can get some  interest, so
please send mail to me, don't followup to the net.

thanx.

***Jay

osu-eddie!osupyr!towslee
cbosgd!osupyr!towslee
pyramid!osupyr!towslee
pyramid!pyrchi!towslee
towslee@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
or anything else you can think of.

guardian@laidbak.UUCP (08/18/87)

In article <102@osupyr.UUCP> towslee@osupyr.UUCP (Jay A. Towslee) writes:

>a C compiler that runs under unix and generates Microsoft
>	compatible 8086/8088/80x86 object code
>or an entire solution consisting of the Assembler and Compiler
>that runs both under unix and MS-DOS

If you get the SCO Xenix - you could compile your programs on the Xenix
machine with the dos libraries.  All of the Unix Calls are implemented
in the dos library and will run under dos 3.x after moved to dos disk.
I found it rather neat to run 'curses' under dos or to do other
tasks that are available under Unix and perform them under Dos.

Of course, not all the the functions are implemented under Dos since dos
is still single tasking.

Harry