[comp.lang.c] what \"is not\" means

DHowell.ElSegundo@Xerox.COM (08/20/87)

In article <3696@ecsvax.UUCP>, uccjcm@ecsvax.uucp (Jonathon C. McLendon
IV) writes:

>Apply the contra-positive to the statement "Not looking like Pascal
implies
>not a language deficiency." One obtains "A language deficiency implies
>looking like Pascal" which is not "Looking like Pascal implies a
language
>deficiency." These are the proper reduced statements, and they are not
>equivalent.

The original statement was "not looking like Pascal is not a language
deficiency".

This is obviously not equivalent to "A language deficiency implies
looking like Pascal", using COBOL as an example which defies this
statement but not the original one.  (COBOL is deficient but does not
look like Pascal.)

Errors are being made with regards to the meaning of "is not".  Some
people are saing that it means "implies not" and others say it means
"does not imply".  While the second interpretation is closer to the
truth, the real meaning of "is not" in this case is "is not a sufficient
condition."

The original statement is the complement of the statement "not looking
like Pascal is a language deficiency".  This complement means that not
looking like Pascal is a sufficient condition for a language to be
deficient. (Which also would mean that looking like Pascal is a
necessary condition for a non-deficient language.)

Thus the original statement means that not looking like Pascal is NOT a
sufficient condition for a language to be deficient. (Or, looking like
Pascal is not a necessary condition for a non-deficient language.)

All this means is that there exists a language which does not look like
Pascal and is not deficient.  This IS the reduced statement (in English
instead of LISP :-)

"Looking like Pascal is a language deficiency" means that looking like
Pascal is a sufficient condition for a deficient language.  This means
that there does not exist a language which looks like Pascal and is not
deficient.  Clearly a different statement than the other one.

"Not looking like Pascal implies not a language deficiency" means that
not looking like Pascal is a sufficient condition for a non-deficient
language.  This means that there does not exist a languae which does not
looks like pascal and is deficient.  A different statement than either
of the other two.

So hopefully I've settled all this and we can get back to talking about
pointers to unspecified size arrays and gotos and switches and other
relevant topics.

>Now, this is really not a proper subject for comp.lang.c, so I will
have
>no further responses. All flamage, slammage, damage to /dev/null
please.

/dev/null: write error, device full.  Sending to comp.lang.c...

Dan <DHowell.ElSegundo@Xerox.COM>

DISCLAIMER: "I'm right, so who cares what my employer thinks? :-)"