[comp.lang.c] compile time type checking

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/27/87)

In article <12962@amdahl.amdahl.com> chuck@amdahl.amdahl.com (Charles
Simmons) writes:
>Yes, lint does work quite well.  Unfortunately, I come from a PL1
>background where the compiler generated type-checking information
>and the linker made sure everything matched.  With lint, I have to
>have to perform an extra pass through my code.  Admittedly, it's not
>a whole lot of work, but if type-checking were integrated with the
>compiler, things would move along a little faster...

	% cat bin/cc
	: lint, then compile
	case $# in
	0) echo "usage: $0 [flags] [files]" 1>&2; exit 1;;
	esac
	lint -h "$@"
	/bin/cc "$@"

Well, this version is *too* simple, but you should get the idea.
You folks at Amdahl should not need to worry about compilation
speed! :-)  (Those are the kind of machines where you run `make'
and wonder why it just *printed* all the commands without running
them ... then you find out it *did* run them.)
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chthe