[comp.lang.c] Admiral Hopper

dant@tekla.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60HC) (08/29/87)

>D Gary Grady writes:
>> Hopper was indeed promoted to Commodore.

At retirement, it's common (in fact, policy) for the military to
give officers an extra promotion.  So it's quite likely that
Hopper retired as an O-8 Rear Admiral, Upper Half.  However, she
may have needed approval by a Congressional Committee to get the
promotion (I'm not sure if retirement promotions need the approval
or not.)

As far as I can tell, retirement promotions are mainly to give the
retiree more retirement pay.  Your tax dollars at work, ladies and
gentlemen.

Dale Worley writes:
>Someone explained to me that for a while the Navy didn't have O-7s at
>all, which caused problems because the big jump from O-6 to O-8 was hard
>to make.  So they re-instituted Commodores, but that sounded wimpyer
>than Brig. Gen.  They finally make O-7s a form of Admiral, so the set
>of ranks labelled Admiral would be the same as the set labelled
>General.

There was also a certain amount of resentment from the other services
that Navy Captains jumped over the O-7 rank.

Now what this has to do with computers, I don't know.  (Except that
Commodores are pretty wimpy computers.)

---
Dan Tilque
dant@tekla.tek.com  or dant@tekla.UUCP

maw@duke.cs.duke.edu (Max A. Woodbury) (08/30/87)

Several years ago when Capt. Hopper was the oldest woman in the Navy,
there was considerable pressure to promote her, but the Navy brass didn't
want to make her an active duty admiral.   There was special legislation
introduced in Congress to reactivate the rank of Commodore for Capt. Hopper.

This was done so that on retirement, she would become the first woman
admiral.  She has been fairly instent on accuracy, and was known to
correct someone who introduced her as Admiral Hopper by interjecting
a loud "Rear Admiral" into the proceedings.

I have known her for many years as a result of my fathers long time association
with her, and she has always been a stickler for detail t

jholbach@wright.UUCP (09/01/87)

in article <2317@zeus.TEK.COM>, dant@tekla.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60HC) says:

> At retirement, it's common (in fact, policy) for the military to
> give officers an extra promotion.  So it's quite likely that
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

		This is arrant nonsense!

> Hopper retired as an O-8 Rear Admiral, Upper Half.  However, she
> may have needed approval by a Congressional Committee to get the
> promotion (I'm not sure if retirement promotions need the approval
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

		Not surprising, since there is no such thing.

> As far as I can tell, retirement promotions are mainly to give the
> retiree more retirement pay.  Your tax dollars at work, ladies and
> gentlemen.

	Could you give an example of one these beasts since you're
so convinced they exist?

> Now what this has to do with computers, I don't know.

	Neither do I, but it sure is fun.....

J. Holbach
Disclaimer: But I don't even *like* the Navy.

bhj@clsib21.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <2317@zeus.TEK.COM>, dant@tekla.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60HC) writes:
> >D Gary Grady writes:
> >> Hopper was indeed promoted to Commodore.
>
> At retirement, it's common (in fact, policy) for the military to
> give officers an extra promotion.  So it's quite likely that

Not true.  It is common policy for you to retire at the highest grade you held
when in the service.  For example, if you spend some time in a job whose
paygrade was an 08, and then, due to the "needs of the service" were sent back
down to an 06 job, you could apply to retire as an 08.

Example:  Poindexter.  He wants to retire at the grade he held as advisor to
Ronnie Raygun.  That paygrade is HIGHER than his current paygrade.  He may
or may not get it...

(from an 10-year ex-Navy E6-almost-E7)

Burt Janz

michael@macom1.UUCP (Michael Mullins) (09/03/87)

> in article <2317@zeus.TEK.COM>, dant@tekla.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60HC) says:
>
>> As far as I can tell, retirement promotions are mainly to give the
>> retiree more retirement pay.  Your tax dollars at work, ladies and
>> gentlemen.   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not likely even if there is such a thing as "Retirment Promotion".

At least in the contry's armed forces, in order to collect retirement
pay at a given grade, the retiree(sp?) must have held that grade for
a minimum of 2 years prior to retirement.
--
John Michael Mullins
CENTEL Business Information Systems, Inc.